Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score dropped after paying down CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score dropped after paying down CC

I have five credit cards. Three have a zero balance. My two navy credit cards are two years old and zero lates. Today I got an alert of a 32 point Decrease in my credit score due to paying my utilization down from 73% to 28%. SOMEONE please tell me **bleep** !!!!!!!!????
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: Score dropped after paying down CC

That makes zero sense...

Where did the notices come from?

Have you checked your actual FICO scores, not just FAKO?

Are either of the NFCU cards at high uti? 

Any other new items on your CR? Apps? 

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

It came from MyFico. One card is at 63% and one is 28%. Total util is 38%. Nothing new.

The messege said, “The total balances on your accounts have decreased by $6000. (Minus 32 points)

I almost cried when I read this notice
Message 3 of 21
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Did you do a bal transfer to the one reporting at 63%?

If there's nothing else on your report that changed and you didn't do a Bal transfer, I have no clue what happened here..

Did you have any older closed accounts that might have dropped off? 

Pay off any loans that weren't CC's? 

Wiser minds than mine will have to solve this if it's none of the above.. 

Message 4 of 21
silver_idle
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have five credit cards. Three have a zero balance. My two navy credit cards are two years old and zero lates. Today I got an alert of a 32 point Decrease in my credit score due to paying my utilization down from 73% to 28%. SOMEONE please tell me **bleep** !!!!!!!!????

Yea something doesnt sound right. I would suggest reviewing the other items on your credit report to see if there were some change there. Best thing to also do is to wait for next month to see if it will increase because it could just be some type of factor in the reporting that caused it to decrease, but keep in mind the score is just one factor, creditors usually take into account the other things on the report.

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible that after paying down one of your cards your CL was decreased?

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, it's extremely important that you understand that it's impossible for a FICO score to drop due to a balance paydown so long as there's still at least 1 non-zero balance reported on one revolving account.  This is the case with your profile, so I can say with 100% conviction that your score did NOT drop due to paying down a balance.

MF gives you score updates any time you receive an alert.  When you receive an alert, such as "balance was paid down X..." it doesn't mean that the alert mentioned has anything to do with the score change.  This is the case with your situation.  Your score did drop, but it dropped due to a reason other than you paying down a CC.  I am 100% positive of that.  It's now up to you to determine what it was that actually resulted in that score drop.

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just verified CL, they are both still the same
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Something similar happend to me, I lost 14 points on Experian, but when my Capital One reported a credit increase of $500.00...  No other alerts in that week that would suggest a escore droping...  It's been two months and score has only gone up by 10 points.

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scores can and do change, both up and down without ever receiving an alert. There are many score-changing things that can happen that don't generate alerts, so it's easy to understand how someone can misunderstand why their score changed when one of these non alertable events happens and then an alertable event happens following it.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.