Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score increase from mortgage inquiry?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score increase from mortgage inquiry?

I started the mortgage process yesterday and the lender pulled my credit. I have received 2 alerts via myFICO with EX & EQ so far, both showing score increases. Is this just coincidence? There are no other changes that I am aware of that would have caused an increase.  Never would have thought an inquiry would increase my score.

0586AE53-604C-4016-A419-4A9D9D94D689.jpeg

E2328A80-1645-4E03-AAE7-3E83EFBA8E88.jpeg

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Score increase from mortgage inquiry?

Inquiry would not increase your score 

Most likely aging or change in utilization. If you've paid off some cards, or lowered your balances in preparation for mortgage app, that could have caused it. 

Inq would either drop your score, or it may have no scoring impact (as in score remained the same). I cannot think of any scenario in which an inq would have positive scoring impact 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I started the mortgage process yesterday and the lender pulled my credit. I have received 2 alerts via myFICO with EX & EQ so far, both showing score increases. Is this just coincidence? There are no other changes that I am aware of that would have caused an increase.  Never would have thought an inquiry would increase my score.

Just from the chart, it looks like you got a new card in July and your AoYA just reached 3 months on October 1st.

I received  +8 to +25 points on 24 out of 28 FICO scores at that threshold. It's possible you got a lot more than +7 and +8pts, but that was reduced by the inquiry.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just from the chart, it looks like you got a new card in July and your AoYA just reached 3 months on October 1st.

I received  +8 to +25 points on 24 out of 28 FICO scores at that threshold. It's possible you got a lot more than +7 and +8pts, but that was reduced by the inquiry.

I just got a new card in September.  Prior to that was a new account in June.  That could be what it is and with the inquiry and new account last month it is possibly the net change of all 3.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^ that would be my guess - the aggregate change to your score is a combination of all of those changes.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Classic case of alert(s) not being related at all to the score change(s) provided at the time of the alert(s).

Your score did not increase from inquiries.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your score definitely did not increase from any inquiries. However if it was truly coded as an installment inquiry, then you neither lost points for it either. They are buffered for 30 days. You’ll see the point loss, if any, 30 days subsequent to the pull.

If it’s incorrectly coded it could’ve dinged you immediately.

In sum, the point came from somewhere else.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.