Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score went up from inquiry

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score went up from inquiry

Score went up 3 points after an inquiry? I have myfico trial and it sent me an alert that said I had an inquiry, and my score went up 3 points. LOL how does that work? Isn't it supposed to go down?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Score went up from inquiry

Did you possibly have something else happen that wasn't easily noticeable, like a late aged over 6 months, or 12 months, or something else fell off? Balance change? but yes, it's endlessly entertaining...
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If one of you other accounts turn 6 months old and you have a new inq with in 2 week period that can add up to +1.

If you have the same type of inq you might not be loosing points if with in a 2 week period and due to aging gain +1.

If you have many inq's a new inq might not affect score at all and another factor may have gained +1.

Not all inq are counted if others are present. Mostly an age growth change will result in +1.

EDITED...
Wait I just saw that you had a +3 point gain. That sounds like debt was just a little bit lower or higher. You probably gained 10-13 points from a UTL change. Remember score changes could be today or last week. I think Score Watch is up to date, but the actual FICO scores are delayed to confuse us. If every action we took changed the score right away we could easily know what to do and what not to do. So I believe they save some changes a week or two and combine actions. So we really never know exactly how that score gain or loss happened with multiple factors. 4+9-3+7-14=(+3) lol. I made those numbers up. But whether they did this intentionally or to save network strain it is really confusing. So you could have had a score boost that didn't report yet and the score drop reported and combined with the score boost.

I can get further in to this with other possibilities to explain this next week.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 10-14-2007 08:53 AM
Message 3 of 8
smallfry
Senior Contributor

It has to be something else.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Score went up 3 points after an inquiry?

Question for pavetim. Were you shopping installment rates? Or was this just 1 inq with in a 2 week time frame? Perhaps the action of shopping rates ie multiple mortgage pulls with in 2 weeks would show a person who is concerned about rates. ??? I am just exploring possibilities. I found a second person who had a mysterious 1 point gain with an inq today. If your inq was for a credit card then that would break this theory. But if your inq was for an installment it could mean something. Then again it might mean nothing. However I've read about other unusual things in the past 2 weeks. Does anyone know for a fact there were no FICO model upgrades or updates? Unless this is new buckets we haven't seen yet. But it seem to easy to just say buckets for things we can't explain. Some peoples scores are behaving in new ways I have never seen before.
Message 5 of 8
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Score went up 3 points after an inquiry?

Question for pavetim. Were you shopping installment rates? Or was this just 1 inq with in a 2 week time frame? Perhaps the action of shopping rates ie multiple mortgage pulls with in 2 weeks would show a person who is concerned about rates. ??? I am just exploring possibilities. I found a second person who had a mysterious 1 point gain with an inq today. If your inq was for a credit card then that would break this theory. But if your inq was for an installment it could mean something. Then again it might mean nothing. However I've read about other unusual things in the past 2 weeks. Does anyone know for a fact there were no FICO model upgrades or updates? Unless this is new buckets we haven't seen yet. But it seem to easy to just say buckets for things we can't explain. Some peoples scores are behaving in new ways I have never seen before.

If you mean FICO08 no it has not been implemented as far as I have heard.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

This gets better. In this credit report that I have seen this persons score did go up from multiple mortgage/installment inqs. Then they tried a credit card inq and score dropped 10 points and on top they lost the 1 point gained when doing multiple mortgage inqs. I would imagine their score will drop again in a few more days for the mortgage inq's as well since it is almost 2 weeks since they started shopping around. But what ever points were gained it was wiped out by a credit card inq. This still doesn't explain what happened. But if we share more experiences like this one, we can start to see patterns and put some of this together. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 10-16-2007 06:35 AM
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It could be one of my accounts went over 6 months.  And yes it was an inquiry for shopping rates for mortgages.  But i'm not complaining, any plus points is good.  I just can't wait for my student loan to get out of rehabilitation/collection this month, i'm hoping at least a 10 point gain, but we'll see. 
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.