Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scores went down for no reason

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scores went down for no reason

I have been diligently following my scores, paying everything down, no late payments, etc...  However, from May to June I have seen my scores drop by 12 points for no apparent reason.  As a matter of fact I have paid down my balances significantly which should have actually raised my scores due to decreased utilization ratio.  

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Scores went down for no reason

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been diligently following my scores, paying everything down, no late payments, etc...  However, from May to June I have seen my scores drop by 12 points for no apparent reason.  As a matter of fact I have paid down my balances significantly which should have actually raised my scores due to decreased utilization ratio.  

Any ideas?

You would  need to provide much more information for us to hazard a guess.

And even then, without a side by side comparison of your reports before and after the score drop, we would only be guessing.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 15
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Last time that happened to me I realized that an old account had dropped off.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

You didn't happen to pay off all of your balances and report $0 balances across all of your revolvers did you?  Or possibly pay off your only installment loan?

Message 4 of 15
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

There's always a reason..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mitchblue wrote:

There's always a reason..

While I agree 99% with this, I would rephrase that to there's usually a reason.  There are "flukes" that exist, where people report their score going up or down a decent amount and then returning to the previous number a month or so later without rhyme or reason.  A lot of the time other people on the forum are also reporting the same thing on the same bureau, possibly suggesting some sort of bug related to scoring with respect to that bureau.  I suppose in these situations the "fluke" is the reason, so yes, there IS always a reason... I just mean one that can be easily explained Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the replies.

To answer some, no, I haven't paid off all of my balances and they are currently reporting $0, no account has dropped off, and no, I still have my installment loan.  I can't figure it out.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the replies.

To answer some, no, I haven't paid off all of my balances and they are currently reporting $0, no account has dropped off, and no, I still have my installment loan.  I can't figure it out.

You haven't paid them off, so they are reporting a non-zero amount you mean?  The wording above was just a bit confusing so I wanted to verify.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry about that.  Yes, I still have balances on those cards, albeit lower than before.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha, so you aren't experiencing any penalty then based on your balances below lower, as they are non-zero balances.  Just wanted to verify that.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.