Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scoring of Old Derogs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Scoring of Old Derogs

New accounts do not penalize in a dirty card and age of oldest account is a segmentation factor only on clean profiles.

AAoA counts, loans count, inquiries count, number of accounts with a balance counts.

So if you got the last three under control that should have those negative reason codes gone. I expect to see short credit history for AAOA, but as long as nothing happens on the first of the month and nothing else is going on then we know it’s discrete.
Message 21 of 82
TheKid2
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
New accounts do not penalize in a dirty card and age of oldest account is a segmentation factor only on clean profiles.

AAoA counts, loans count, inquiries count, number of accounts with a balance counts.

So if you got the last three under control that should have those negative reason codes gone. I expect to see short credit history for AAOA, but as long as nothing happens on the first of the month and nothing else is going on then we know it’s discrete.

I just looked at my last 3B and AAoA is actually over 6+ years on all 3. 2 installments (auto, home) are clean won't flirt with the low util breakpoint, so no bonus there. No collections. No public records. Only 1 of 4 active revolvers will have a balance once the COs clear to 0. I have no other open loans except the 1 auto and 1 home - several clean closed autos and a previous clean mortgage. So without age helping the COs, I'd just have to live with them and be pretty static score wise I think. At that point it seems I would be cornered into GW deletes to get any higher score wise - until they fall off.

So I looked quick at potentially getting an idea for TPOD Total Period of Delinquency on the COs. EQ actually shows a DOFD field and it seems pretty accurate - so I could compile that from the EQ report for all the COs. What I'm not sure of is what field to focus on for the TPOD - Last Activity is blank on all of them, so would I use Date Reported or Last Payment? Date Reported seems to be the most recent indicator and thus give the higest TPOD. The 3B doesn't give me DOFD, but I could "manually" get it from the month they reported the 30 in payment history (logically that is the first deliquent). I say this because of the whacky little inconsistencies between reports.

JOINED 4/2020

FICO 8 = 582, 620, 589 / Mortgage = 633, 526, 581

CURRENT PEAK *Thanks to the MF Community!

FICO 8 = 715, 711, 720 / Mortgage = 688, 696, 681

Message 22 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, go to annualcreditreport.com and pull all three reports from there to get the DOFD. They’re free weekly until 2021.

Yes the last reported or last updated, whatever the most recent date is on there is what it will use to calculate the TPOD from the DOFD.

Wow so there really is incentive to pay them as soon as you can so the TPOD is lower and the resulting penalty is lower for the seven years that you have to wear it since you don’t get anything back from COs apparently. Wonder if we can quantify the difference between COs as you get them deleted? You know, compare TPODs to see the different penalties.

We’re gonna learn some good stuff from your testing! Kind of excited about this.
Message 23 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if the first one deleted doesn't have the largest TPOD and there’s a point gain, then we know it doesn’t necessarily go by the largest TPOD for the overall penalty. We will know that there are additional penalties for additional COs, even if the TPOD is smaller.

Conversely, if there is no move then that may give evidence to the fact that the penalty based on the one with the largest TPOD or that additional COs don’t inflict further loss. This is going to get very interesting.
Message 24 of 82
TheKid2
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So if the first one deleted doesn't have the largest TPOD and there’s a point gain, then we know it doesn’t necessarily go by the largest TPOD for the overall penalty. We will know that there are additional penalties for additional COs, even if the TPOD is smaller.

Conversely, if there is no move then that may give evidence to the fact that the penalty based on the one with the largest TPOD or that additional COs don’t inflict further loss. This is going to get very interesting.

I am likely going to need guidance or help as I pick through this. I pulled everything on 5/15 (3B and annualreports). Got EQ and TU, but EX choked on my annual pull with an error (I never got the verification questions, so I guess I have to call them). I do have an EX subscription that may help.

I want to be as scientific as possible and not give false data. To start, I think I need to bucket these because the reporting isn't the same for all of the accounts as I'm realizing now that some of these aren't seen as COs by the algos. The OCs clearly messed up the reporting on some and I think the algos will pick some of them up as 120 accounts and not maybe COs. I have a total of 24 accounts to go through all basically with the same DOFD - all revolvers, not a single bad anywhere else. I'm thinking at the highest level I need to start with "Pay Status" on TU and "Account Status" on EQ - bucket what are considered COs (most actually say "Charged Off" in this field), but some actually say "PAYS AS AGREED" and "Current" with the "worst deliquency as 120 on x/xx/xxx". Unless a CO and 120 is treated exactly the same for TPOD? Either way I can calculate TPOD for both 120 accounts and COs as a start and can even separate that - the good news, is maybe we can test the impact of a delete of a 120 and a delete of a CO. Although based on your master scoring thread there is small aging points for a 120 and supposedly none for a CO.

JOINED 4/2020

Message 25 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheKid2 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am likely going to need guidance or help as I pick through this. I pulled everything on 5/15 (3B and annualreports). Got EQ and TU, but EX choked on my annual pull with an error (I never got the verification questions, so I guess I have to call them). I do have an EX subscription that may help.

I want to be as scientific as possible and not give false data. To start, I think I need to bucket these because the reporting isn't the same for all of the accounts as I'm realizing now that some of these aren't seen as COs by the algos. The OCs clearly messed up the reporting on some and I think the algos will pick some of them up as 120 accounts and not maybe COs. I have a total of 24 accounts to go through all basically with the same DOFD - all revolvers, not a single bad anywhere else. I'm thinking at the highest level I need to start with "Pay Status" on TU and "Account Status" on EQ - bucket what are considered COs (most actually say "Charged Off" in this field), but some actually say "PAYS AS AGREED" and "Current" with the "worst deliquency as 120 on x/xx/xxx". Unless a CO and 120 is treated exactly the same for TPOD? Either way I can calculate TPOD for both 120 accounts and COs as a start and can even separate that - the good news, is maybe we can test the impact of a delete of a 120 and a delete of a CO. Although based on your master scoring thread there is small aging points for a 120 and supposedly none for a CO.

@TheKid2 I'll be happy to give you all the guidance and help that I'm able to. That's weird EX choked having a subscription with them.

No, absolutely not! As referenced in the Primer, the Payment Status Field contains the most severe delinquency level reported on an account, which here of course is CO. It doesn't matter how many other designations you have, the most severe will be in that field. And that's with the algorithm uses. The link in the Primer even tells you which field it is by code number which you may be able to reference with your report from ACR. The paid as agreed or current should be in the Current Status Field, I think. 

I really don't think a CO and a 120 are treated the same for TPOD. They cannot be. 120 is 120 from DOFD. If it goes beyond that, it could go up to 180 and then it should be a CO with increasing TPODs until such time as it's either no longer updated or paid.

In other words, I believe it looks in the payment status field to determine the delinquency level and if it's a CO, it then calculates from DOFD to last update to determine the  TPOD. It doesn't have to do that if it's only at 120 or a 90, because that number already indicates the level of TPOD. 

Yes that is correct, from my understanding, there's significant gains for 30s and 60s and for 90s and 120s there's a small gain, but for COs I don't think there are any gains, only continued loss as the algorithm realizes TPOD increases, whether it be through monthly updates or when it's eventually paid or updated again for some other reason.

Message 26 of 82
TheKid2
Frequent Contributor

Yah, on the ACR site it won't let me get EX telling me to call or get the report by mail. Maybe I answered a question wrong previsouly or something, but I've tried twice now over 2 weeks and same error each time. Even though my EX subscription gives me a pull per day it doesn't have the detail of the ACR report. But, I have the EQ and TU ACR reports to reference and I have an EX 3B ready to go - I'm going to pull that when the last 4 COs with past due get reported to $0.

So, based on only using the most severe deliquency I have several that didn't get to CO. This is a mistake by the OC in reporting, but it's not necessarly something I want to correct because they are reporting LESS severe than reality. Since my goal is to isolate COs and TPOD, I just want to be clear that these appear on my derog list, but are NOT listed as CO (even though they technically were). The question is how do I account for these and their impact in my dirty scorecard. Remember, all these are CLOSED revolving accounts with a balance of $0. There are 6 of them total:

1. Closed / Current / (1) 30 / (1) 60 / Last Update - 8/2017.
  2. Closed / Current / (1) 30 / (1) 60 / Last Update - 8/2017.
  3. Closed / Current / (1) 30 / (1) 60 / (1) 90 / (1) 120 / Last Update - 12/2019.
  4. Closed / Current / (1) 30 / (1) 60 / (1) 90 / (1) 120 / Last Update - 3/2018.
  5. Closed / Current / (1) 30 / (1) 60 / (2) 90 / (3) 120+ / Last Update - 12/2017. 
  6. Closed / 120PastDue / (1) 30 / (1) 60 / (1) 90 / (3) 120+ / Last Update - 1/2018.

With the exception of #6, all do NOT have a DOFD listed, the field is blank. #6 does have a DOFD of 5/2017. Weird reporting. My main concern is the impact on these 6 outliers because everything else is a revolving CO where I can calculate TPOD and attempt to isloate the behaviour of multiple COs.

Will these 6 listed improve and actually give me a score boost as they age?

JOINED 4/2020

Message 27 of 82
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

So to confirm something Birdman said earlier: the major segmentation factors are age and severity.

Inside that scorecard though, you can get a handful of points going from 2 collections to 1 (like 5 in my case), it's not a lot but it's something.  Same thing with tax liens, CO's are unfortunately a wonkier scoring factor given balance and always updating.

There's some wisdom to drawing the line in the sand, you still owe the money and CO's drag on your credit like nothing else really especially considering FICO 8 and 9 where recent issues are far more heavily penalized than older ones (like to the tune of 40 points worse compared to older models).  If you don't do expect a 1099 someday in the future as almost all lenders will do that, but admittedly counting it as income isn't full boat penalty.

@Anonymous this is an excellent thread for recent late scoring at least.  https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/From-800-to-Foreclosur-e-How-Negatives-Affect-Your-Score/td-p/3760423

        
Message 28 of 82
TheKid2
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

So to confirm something Birdman said earlier: the major segmentation factors are age and severity.

Inside that scorecard though, you can get a handful of points going from 2 collections to 1 (like 5 in my case), it's not a lot but it's something.  Same thing with tax liens, CO's are unfortunately a wonkier scoring factor given balance and always updating.

There's some wisdom to drawing the line in the sand, you still owe the money and CO's drag on your credit like nothing else really especially considering FICO 8 and 9 where recent issues are far more heavily penalized than older ones (like to the tune of 40 points worse compared to older models).  If you don't do expect a 1099 someday in the future as almost all lenders will do that, but admittedly counting it as income isn't full boat penalty.

@Anonymous this is an excellent thread for recent late scoring at least.  https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/From-800-to-Foreclosur-e-How-Negatives-Affect-Your-Score/td-p/3760423

@Revelate - thanks for this. I'm not sure if you read through the history of my situation, but I believe that my situation is unique enough to help with understanding scoring impacts of revolver COs. Unlike the thread you linked, where the OP had a FC, I never went derog on any installment loan (mortgage or auto). I would imagine that installment lates and a FC/repo would have significant impact on scores even beyond the revolver 120+/COs. In my case, I only have revolver lates/COs during a specific timeframe. I have no collections, no public records, and no scoreable inquiries. In theory, the only drag on my credit right now is those revolver COs.

It seems that not much is known on the scoring impact of revolver COs specifically. Once I am segmented into a dirty scorecard, it's not clear if there is further penalty for MULTIPLE revolver COs, it just seems clear that COs do not age and improve from a score persepctive - they drag you until they fall off. The question I started this with is "would I see a score improvement if I got 1 CO deleted, while multiple other COs remaining?" and that is when @Anonymous  introduced the concept of TPOD (Total Period of Deliquency). The theory is that once TPOD is set for all revolver COs, you would basically be static from scoring them. They won't get worse with no further reporting and they won't get better because COs don't age. In other words, once all revolver COs are reporting $0 balance and no longer hitting a monthly report update as a CO, they will set a final TPOD for each - and that is your likely best possible score while you are dirty (until all COs fall off). I say this because I literally would have nowhere to find points with a perfect installment history and being at AZE0 on open revolver TLs. I am maxxed out - UNLESS I can pick up some points by getting a CO deleted. Hope this makes sense.

JOINED 4/2020

Message 29 of 82
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

So in general multiple delinquencies and multiple CO's aren't understood for F8 and newer.

FICO 8 included a pattern of lates metric and so less might be better.

Pre-F8 I think it was easier, until you got all your CO's to $0 and the last one (being most recent) that was your final date and now aging from there.  It's not like collections scored from DOFD, I don't know that TPOD is much of a thing I don't know how we would really tease that separate that out.  

CO's are harder anyway because pretty sure those balances still count in revolving metrics but we don't have great data on that.  Actually if your own experiment can at least tease that out I would consider it a huge win.

The link was mostly for Birdman though, I know it wasn't applicable for your situation Smiley Wink.  Apologies for the thread jack 

        
Message 30 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.