Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Mortgage is "Non Mortgage Debt"?

tag
manfromunkle
Established Member

Second Mortgage is "Non Mortgage Debt"?

I finally figured out why I have a ceiling on my credit score.

I was looking at my FICO Quarterly Monitoring report and saw an entry "Total amount you owe on all non-mortgage accounts".

The number was HUGE.  Twenty times my revolving debt.  What the heck?  Then it dawned on me.  The only way they could come up with such a large number was to include our second mortgage (HELOC).  Every penny from that account went to home improvements (and we are not even close to "under water" in home debt)

Is this possible? Is a HELOC (second mortgage) classified as "non-mortgage" debt?

Starting Score: EQ 768 TU 729
Current Score: EQ 823 TU 821 EX 823
Goal Score: ALL ABOVE 800 (Goal met!)

Who knew not opening new credit accounts for 2 years and paying off those credit cards works?

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Second Mortgage is "Non Mortgage Debt"?

HELOCs and LOCs are scored as revolving credit up to a certain limit. That limit varies by FICO version. 

Message 2 of 5
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

Not only the CRAs but the banks themselves rate your credit as either installment or revovling.  My own bank told me that a HELOC is considered by them to be 65% revovling and 35% installment.  Some have a hard number instead of using a percentage as to the portion of it being revovling.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 3 of 5
coterotie
Established Contributor

Each of the three bureaus has our HELOC rated differently.  The weirdest one is TU which has it rated as an overdraft line of credit.  A 50K overdraft line of credit. None of the 3 bureaus have it listed as a mortgage even though it is the only thing resembling a mortgage that is on the report.  Of course the house associated with the line has been sold for nearly 7 years and we don't owe a balance.  But the tradeline is still on there, open and reporting a zero balance with payments made satisfactorily, so who am I to argue?

When I was a banker I once approved a $1,000,000+ overdraft but that is a different story.

Message 4 of 5
manfromunkle
Established Member

Thank you for your answers confirming my predicament.  I am pretty discouraged now.  I think my dreams of "Great" credit are lessening due to silly stuff like this. 

Starting Score: EQ 768 TU 729
Current Score: EQ 823 TU 821 EX 823
Goal Score: ALL ABOVE 800 (Goal met!)

Who knew not opening new credit accounts for 2 years and paying off those credit cards works?

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.