cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured credit cards boosting credit score..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Secured credit cards boosting credit score..

I have a secured credit card that reports every 30 days, when it reports does my score go up every time its reported? If its a good report obviously..lol

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Secured credit cards boosting credit score..

You really don't get rewarded for on-time payments, but you get socked with a score drop if late. Any points from that CC would come in the form of it's length of history. You won't see gains monthly, but if new, you'd see gains as the newness of it wears off and again around the year mark. Going forward, it will eventually contibute to a lengthening AAoA and overall length of history which helps too.

Message 2 of 4
TooMuchTooSoon
Established Member

I started with a $400 secured CC; boy did it work.  Within two months Fingerhut and Capitol One approved me for small limits ($400/$300 respectively).  Trust in it they do work.

Starting Score: Experian 593 Equifax 552 TransUnion 550
Current Score: 746 767
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a secured credit card that reports every 30 days, when it reports does my score go up every time its reported? If its a good report obviously..lol

They are excellent ways to build your credit, but it is a long term process.

Also the month to month variations in score due to changes in utilization will overshadow slow growth as good accounts age.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.