Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I consolidate my balances?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I consolidate my balances?

I have 16 different credit card accounts with the best of them being my NFCU Flagship with 9.9% interest and $28,000 CL. 6 of my accounts are above 30% usage and that is dinging my scores. Aggregate usage is around 31%. Is it advantageous to transfer all of my balances over to the Flagship, which would put that card at about 70% utilization and would take about a year or so to get it back below 30%? That would immediately reduce my number of accounts with higher usage without changing my aggregate usage. Is this at all worthwhile? If I decided to do this, would it make NFCU nervous about me? I pay huge payments on that card every month and use it for almost all expenses, so I churn that card a lot already. 

1 REPLY 1
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I consolidate my balances?

this should work for you -2 notes below

1. you wont be able to use the NFCU CC for any spending - you dont want to mix balance transfers and new purchases, as it makes the interest difficult to figure out - so plan to SD that card until the balance is fully paid down

2. pick one of your other cards each month to use for your spending, and make sure you can PIF each month - this will keep all your cards with some activity over the next year - rotate through all 6

be very agressive with the paydown - they wont flinch at the 70%, if you are making large payments every month

good luck to you

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.