cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I pay off my 2 cc's for better scores?

tag
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I pay off my 2 cc's for better scores?

PIF one card before your statement cuts and leave a small balance (< 10% of the CL) on the other card for max FICO points.
Message 11 of 16
marty56
Super Contributor

In my score bucket, I do the best in having only one card showing a balance with low util.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I will PIF my Amex and leave a small balance of 5% of CL on my BofA card.
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

agree... Good Luck! Keep us informed on scores.

Message Edited by HinH on 03-07-2008 08:53 AM
Message 14 of 16
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Junejer wrote:
Ouch. Just when I thought I had the answer to my recent 28 point drop, you come and throw another wrench in the works. Geez, I can't afford a 20 point drop in score for PIFing.

This is why I went credit shopping. I was tired of being spanked for having half or more of all TL's with balances. I only had 8 TL's, three of which were installment/mortgages and had balances, so if one extra CC messed up and reported, my scores dropped. I knew that I wanted to get a car loan and a BT card, so I had to get 3 more accounts that I could keep PIF'd to counter-balance them. How weird is that?

FWIW, your old enemy The Haters (TU) is the most severe on this, and they didn't drop my scores when all my CC's showed paid. So you might be OK anyway. (I think that some of the do-or-don't pay off cards varies by score bucket, as well.)

When I close on the house, I am going to have a mortgage and a HELOC report, then I am closing on an investment property later this month. It seems that I have no choice but to get four more cards and PIF them and carry a small uti balance on my fifth card.

Dang, this stinks. But, if I am going to keep my scores up for all of the RE investing that I plan to do this year, I have to do it.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Junejer wrote:

When I close on the house, I am going to have a mortgage and a HELOC report, then I am closing on an investment property later this month. It seems that I have no choice but to get four more cards and PIF them and carry a small uti balance on my fifth card.

Dang, this stinks. But, if I am going to keep my scores up for all of the RE investing that I plan to do this year, I have to do it.

You might hold off for the first month, let everything report, pull the FICO's, and see what you're being yelled at for. It's very, very possible that you are going to get different feedback, and you won't need to pick up unwanted cards.

Example: Timothy PIF'd all his CC's and lost 20 points. I tried to have only one reporting, but TU screwed up their posting and showed all of them PIF'd, and I gained points. So two apparently identical situations, but with very different score results. Smiley Tongue

Also, EX is angry at me for having a car loan post. Since it's brand new, it's at maximum util. And even though we tell everyone that installment util is not that big of a deal (which it isn't), new non-mortgage loans at 100% do hurt. Score dropped and got a scolding on screen 2 of the EX FICO report. Just another example of how difficult it is to isolate causes and effects.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.