Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I remain as an AU or not?

tag
JustJay119
Regular Contributor

Should I remain as an AU or not?

Whats up guys. I am trying to figure out if i should remain as an AU on two accounts now that I just opened up two accounts of my own. I do have one credit card which I was able to keep with no late payments from 09/2013. I just opened up CapOne QS1 and Disco Secured, which dropped my AAoA. 

Opening dates are as follows

Mine:

09-2013

09-2020

09-2020(has not reported yet to credit profile)

AU's:

05-2020

02-2018

I have multiple chargoffs from 2017 and I added myself as AU's to help me get off Capitals Ones blacklist and it worked. I also thought that having the AU accounts, both with no late payments, will help skew my on time payment percentage in a positive direction.

Will keeping myself as an AU help or should I remove?

Thanks

Current

AU

Banking

Scores 10/15/21
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I remain as an AU or not?

Short answer: No, remove them both.

The whole on-time % thing is something that companies like CreditKarma feed you, but it is not relevant to FICO. You either have the lates or don't, and they're either aged or not.

I'm guessing since you have charge-offs you must have older closed accounts. Adding those rather new AUs would actually drop your AAoA, which is harmful.

Message 2 of 4
JustJay119
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Short answer: No, remove them both.

The whole on-time % thing is something that companies like CreditKarma feed you, but it is not relevant to FICO. You either have the lates or don't, and they're either aged or not.

I'm guessing since you have charge-offs you must have older closed accounts. Adding those rather new AUs would actually drop your AAoA, which is harmful.

Copy. Thanks for the response.

Current

AU

Banking

Scores 10/15/21
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

True enough the positive payment history is not gonna help you, but as long as there is no negative payment history and low utilization on the cards, the only concern is age.

To determine whether they will help your ages, take your average age of accounts and see if they are older or younger; if they are older they help, if they are younger they hurt.

They can also help your utilization but that’s a double edged sword. Surely the one from this year probably will not help your ages.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.