Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I remove myself as an AU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I remove myself as an AU

Ok so I recently started to work on my credit just this year and had my ex add me to her capital one card she opened in Dec 2020.. 

Problem is she doesn't play the fico game will charge it up to 700 with a CL of 1k and that drops my score depending on the month. (Always PIF when Bill is due)

Since then I've got

Discover It Secured $2500 4-2021

CSR $10k 6-2021

Chase Ink Unlimited 10k 7-2021 ( business account I know this doesn't effect aaoa)

Amex Plat 9-2021

Apple card 6.5k 9-2021

Depending on which CRA I look at my aaoa differs.. one reports child support aged at 17 years and the other 2 just my old student loans at around 10 years.

If I remove myself as an AU 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I remove myself as an AU

Lol idk how to edit my OP.. if I remove myself as an AU will this drop my Aaoa ? And if so would it really matter that much?

Message 2 of 7
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Won't change average age of accounts very much.

It is not helping you at all after your newer cards.

Makes it more complicated if you ever want to use "Azeo"

I vote:  Removed as AU

Message 3 of 7
RSX
Valued Contributor

^ Agreed for two reasons

1. Don't mix finances with an Ex

2. The high util hurts more than any age you are getting

roll on your own and let your cards age and your score will go up without help from anyone else

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea I kinda figured as much... just wanted this sage communities wisdom 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been doing some testing and reviewing old data points. I am confident in saying that most AU accounts will remain on your credit report as a closed account and thus will not affect your AAoA. If a terminated AU account has negative payment history it needs to be disputed in order to be removed from one's credit reports. 

That utilization is definitely impacting your scores, remove yourself as an AU and you will be in a better position. If it does nothing other than remove a financial association with an ex.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

No derogs... and I already removed myself.. so guess I'll see how it goes!!

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been doing some testing and reviewing old data points. I am confident in saying that most AU accounts will remain on your credit report as a closed account and thus will not affect your AAoA. If a terminated AU account has negative payment history it needs to be disputed in order to be removed from one's credit reports. 

That utilization is definitely impacting your scores, remove yourself as an AU and you will be in a better position. If it does nothing other than remove a financial association with an ex.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.