cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So at the 12 month mark an account is no longer "new"?

tag
Twix
Valued Member

So at the 12 month mark an account is no longer "new"?

I have been trying to figure out when the dings for new credit go away.  From what I have gathered reading lots of posts here, around the 12 month mark is when FICO no longer considers an account "new".  Is this correct?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: So at the 12 month mark an account is no longer "new"?

Twix wrote:

I have been trying to figure out when the dings for new credit go away.  From what I have gathered reading lots of posts here, around the 12 month mark is when FICO no longer considers an account "new".  Is this correct?

Yes, that's correct.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 10
Geordi
Regular Contributor

Not meaning to step on the moderator's toes, but it is my understanding that Fico considers accounts to be new for 24 months.

GL

Message 3 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Geordi wrote:

Not meaning to step on the moderator's toes, but it is my understanding that Fico considers accounts to be new for 24 months.

GL

Hey, I'm always willing to stand corrected; where'd you get that?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 10
GFer
Valued Contributor

I understood that FICO counts "newness" till the 12 month mark, but they don't actually fall off credit report until they are two years.

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

GFer wrote:

I understood that FICO counts "newness" till the 12 month mark, but they don't actually fall off credit report until they are two years.

Well, that's true for inqs. Hope it doesn't happen to my new accounts, though! Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 10
GFer
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@GFer wrote:

Well, that's true for inqs. Hope it doesn't happen to my new accounts, though! Smiley Very Happy

Ok, Duhhhhhhhhh! LOL

I knew that. (Going to blame this on dehydration from the flu!) LOL

Message 7 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

GFer wrote:

Ouch, sorry to hear. Our family has a vicious cold going around that almost qualifies as flu, but not quite. Smiley Tongue
Message 8 of 10
GFer
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@GFer wrote:

Ouch, sorry to hear. Our family has a vicious cold going around that almost qualifies as flu, but not quite. Smiley Tongue

Thanks! Sorry everyone is sick!  Guess it's just 'that time of year'!

I told my family I was just getting it out of the way to start fresh for the new year---nothing but positive from here on out! LOL (Sounds good, anyhow!)

Message 9 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Some edification, please.  I know that new accounts bear the burden in credit scoring for the inq used to obtain the account for 12 mos., and that the new account reduces the average age of accounts.

But where, in FICO scoring,does a "new" account additionally score?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.