Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Consolidation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loan Consolidation

I recently received an education award that can be applied to the cost of tuition or used to pay off existing student loans.  I have two existing student loans with one lender and a third student loan with another.  All three loans have the same interest rate and I am considering consolidating them together.  My question is whether or not I should use the education award to pay off the smaller loan in full as to have it reflect paid on my credit report and use the balance to pay on one of the other existing loans before the consolidation takes place?  Or does it really make a difference?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loan Consolidation

I have two questions:

Are the student loans private or from the Fed?

Will have you have to take out another loan to pay for school if you pay the loans off with the award?
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two of the loans are private and the other is with the Fed.  I have completed my degree and plan on using the educational award to pay toward these existing loans.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gmoney wrote:
Two of the loans are private and the other is with the Fed.  I have completed my degree and plan on using the educational award to pay toward these existing loans.

In my opinion you should pay off the private loans first because those loan companies can increase your interest rate for just about any reason.  At least the Fed locks you in a rate once you're approved and/or once you consolidate.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.