Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suze said....

tag
NikJ4
Established Contributor

Re: Suze said....

She has also given bad and wrong advice regarding mortgages. I have worked in that industry for the last 10 years and half the stuff she says, I want to choke her. I dont know who is worse....her or Dave Ramsey. They both have good intentions but horrible advice sometimes, ok most times.
Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I just heard Suze say that paying an old collection that's been on your reports for say, five years, won't help your FICO score because by the time it's that old, it's not really hurting you that much.

Then she went on to say, however, that you would help your FICO score if you were to pay a collection that's very recent, like 3 months old, for example.

No comment.

Well...shes kinda right, I think she missed one important nugget of information. DOLA! If I had a collection that was 5 years old and last reported 4 years ago, I wouldnt touch it either. All that would do is drop my score once i pay it off, since they will now report the account paid in 2008 which in turn makes that account late as of last month... And in the long term paying a collection that is 3 months old would help your score in the long run, cause your still taking a big hit because that collection is brand new. Paying it off will only assist you to distance yourself away from it now.
Message 12 of 28
marty56
Super Contributor

Perhaps she was thinking about PFD and SOL.  Anyway I wonder if her comment would affect the sales of the Suzie Orman kit.

As a side note who would win a celebrity deathmatch? Suzie or Dave Ramsey.  My guess Suzie would clean his clock.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 13 of 28
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@marty56 wrote:
Perhaps she was thinking about PFD and SOL. Anyway I wonder if her comment would affect the sales of the Suzie Orman kit.
As a side note who would win a celebrity deathmatch? Suzie or Dave Ramsey. My guess Suzie would clean his clock.

Probably. She's the man. Smiley Happy
Message 14 of 28
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@NikJ4 wrote:
She has also given bad and wrong advice regarding mortgages. I have worked in that industry for the last 10 years and half the stuff she says, I want to choke her. I dont know who is worse....her or Dave Ramsey. They both have good intentions but horrible advice sometimes, ok most times.

I keep saying, those teeth are unnatural. A couple of my reports are from the kit, and whenever I click on one and those teeth blast out at me, I leap out of my skin.

My daughters caught her show once last year at the beach (we'd never seen it before.) They were hypnotized! --looked like bunnies staring at a snake.

edit: cna't splel

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 07-13-2008 10:02 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 28
Client9
Regular Contributor

She also said that the CRA arent calculating AU's anymore when that college aged girl called in.  The girl's score was 790+/-5   Suze said not to touch it.  I was thinking if they arent doing AU's anymore Suze, maybe the caller should remove herself altogether and see what happenes?

Her giant white teeth hypnotize me, just like Tony Robbins giant white choppers
Message 16 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I just heard Suze say that paying an old collection that's been on your reports for say, five years, won't help your FICO score because by the time it's that old, it's not really hurting you that much.

Then she went on to say, however, that you would help your FICO score if you were to pay a collection that's very recent, like 3 months old, for example.

No comment.

Well...shes kinda right, I think she missed one important nugget of information. DOLA! If I had a collection that was 5 years old and last reported 4 years ago, I wouldnt touch it either. All that would do is drop my score once i pay it off, since they will now report the account paid in 2008 which in turn makes that account late as of last month... And in the long term paying a collection that is 3 months old would help your score in the long run, cause your still taking a big hit because that collection is brand new. Paying it off will only assist you to distance yourself away from it now.

Now that's an interesting take on it.  If that's what she meant, it certainly wasn't clear from her comments.

I probably should have explained the context of her comments in my original post.  She was responding to an email from a viewer who had said she had several medical collections from long ago that she had just learned about, and she had just learned that her FICO score was 554.  The viewer then asked Suze whether paying those old "medical bills" (as she put it) would make her FICO score go up.

Suze said no, paying collections that old won't make your FICO score go up, but if they were only three months old, for example, then yes, it would make your score go up.

If I were completely ignorant about the way FICO works, my take-away from that advice would have been that paying a three-month old collection would make my FICO score go up as soon as it's paid.  Granted, she didn't explicitly say that, but that was clearly the message that was conveyed.

Incidentally, I actually like Suze for the most part.  I like the fact that she rides people with the question, "How are you going to pay for this?"  If more people would ask themselves that question before they buy stuff they can't afford, many of them wouldn't get into so much trouble.

Note that this is different from the DR philosophy of not buying anything at all on credit.  For Suze, it seems to me that credit is a tool that can be used wisely, as long as you can afford what you are buying.  I buy that.

Message 17 of 28
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I have small yellow teeth...can I hypnotize you.Smiley Very Happy
Message 18 of 28
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@fused wrote:
I have small yellow teeth...can I hypnotize you.Smiley Very Happy

Errr, no.

But I think my cat would be greatly interested. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 19 of 28
fused
Moderator Emeritus

What if I have large yellow teeth...might you be interested thenSmiley Very Happy
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.