Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TOO MANY ACCOUNTS WITH BALANCES ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

TOO MANY ACCOUNTS WITH BALANCES ?

i can't believe this but im getting a hand of how this scoring works. I woke up this morning with ''A change has been detected.'' 2 points drop only for a $28 reported balance!!!!!! NOW the only reason i started using my CapitlOne is because it is the lowest credit card i have and they said that only accounts who has ''had at least 3 monthly payments made over the last year'' are eligible for a credit limit increase. So i figured this got to be when i've seen in the past where i've denied for a credit limit increase and says ''TOO MANY ACCOUNTS WITH BALANCES.'' So really ? When or what is ''TOO MANY'' ? For me it seems more than 4 accounts with balances regardless if my credit utilation rate is below 5%. And a 2 point dipped !? You got to be crazy a $28 balance would! seriously! 

CONCLUSION:

i have 8 accounts with balances.

3 i pay in full before statements cuts (reports a $0 balance.) 

4 have balances

+1 (CapitolOne)

= 5 accounts with balancesis  when my score dropped 2 points. 

Experian - 732

Transunion - 740  (also dropped 2 points!)

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Involver
Valued Contributor

Re: TOO MANY ACCOUNTS WITH BALANCES ?

When I go from 4 to 5 accounts with balances I lose over 20 points on EQ04 and 8 on EQ08.  There's just a percentage of accounts based on your particular scoring bucket that is deemed "too many" and makes you a statistically riskier borrower.  For EQ08 you will generally take a hit when greater than half of your accounts have balances, which in your case is true.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Involver wrote:

When I go from 4 to 5 accounts with balances I lose over 20 points on EQ04 and 8 on EQ08.  There's just a percentage of accounts based on your particular scoring bucket that is deemed "too many" and makes you a statistically riskier borrower.  For EQ08 you will generally take a hit when greater than half of your accounts have balances, which in your case is true.

OMG! Smiley Surprised 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Involver wrote:

TYVM. I never knew that.

Message 4 of 8
EW800
Valued Contributor

The FICO scoring God's can sure be goofy. I can relate. This goes back several months, however I accidently let $3 report on an accoubt, over the one account that I usually allow to show a balance. FICO dinged me a couple of points. I just had to chuckle about the fact that they (scoring) actually thought that I am a higher risk with that $3 showing. Smiley Happy
Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 5 of 8
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

mmm, interesting!!!

I wonder for someone who is in a "dirty bucket", like a BK and Paid tax lien showing, plus IIB accounts....wonder what one persons "allowed" accounts to report balances is..
Im not willing to try at all because my lenders are watching me like a hawk right now since the Great App Spree of February 2015 happened, LOLSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@pizza1 wrote:
mmm, interesting!!!

I wonder for someone who is in a "dirty bucket", like a BK and Paid tax lien showing, plus IIB accounts....wonder what one persons "allowed" accounts to report balances is..
Im not willing to try at all because my lenders are watching me like a hawk right now since the Great App Spree of February 2015 happened, LOLSmiley Wink

It doesnt matter BK bucket or not there is going  to be a Fico score adjustment for each account that reports a balance and it doesnt matter if the balance is 10K or 1 buck.

Message 7 of 8
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

I used to get this ding every time more than half of my accounts reported a balance (this included mortgage, car loans, student loan, etc.).  There are 5 accounts I have that will always report a balance until they are paid off. That is honestly the reason I had always had 7 credit cards.  I have 12 total open accounts and could let 1 cc report at any given time. If it went to 2 cards with a balance, I would get that ding because 7 of the 12 accounts had a balance. It was strange. It doesn't seem to be the case now though so it may have to do with the rebucketing thing..I am still not sure.

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.