cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[UPDATED] TU 8 up +7pts at AAoA 1yr 6mo? (Yes x 2)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

[UPDATED] TU 8 up +7pts at AAoA 1yr 6mo? (Yes x 2)

[EDIT: Happened again at AAoA 1yr 6mo on September 1st, 2020. See this post.]

I just got a myFICO alert to a TU score change that I definitely wasn't expecting this month. I expected my score to go down -14pts due to both cards reporting 9% utilization this month. With 1 of 2, I get +14pts, as with my January report (shown in signature).

The new updated balance did not show yet in the alert. It should be my Mastercard going from $0 to $179.99 (8.99% util).

The only other thing I can think of is the new aging values for February 1: AoOA 2yr 2mo, AAoA 1yr 6mo, AoYA 1yr 2mo.

Does anyone remember seeing a jump on TU 8 at Average Age of Accounts (AAoA) 1 year 6 months?

(The score factors shown below are the same as the ones from my January 10 myFICO 3B report.)

TU 8 +7 at AAoA 1yr 6 mos?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: TU 8 up +7pts at AAoA 1yr 6mo (?)

Did your reason codes shift out of curiosity with that new datapoint?

Also if you run the numbers specifically to revolvers what do you get?  Actually IIRC you're still all revolvers only? Smiley Happy

I didn't have any access to FICO 8 at all when I crossed 1.5 years TBH.  Old conventional wisdom FICO 04 models and earlier there wasn't squat AAOA wise 2 years or lower and my own experience seemed to track that but on the flipside I had a lot of increases over the first two years which is sort of expected with new files but I did concretely get an AAOA breakpoint at 2 years (I went above and below that and back above again on a derogatory scorecard to isolate it) for EQ FICO 5 anyway.

        
Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

Did your reason codes shift out of curiosity with that new datapoint?

No shift. Those score factors shown above are the same as my January 10 3B report.

Also if you run the numbers specifically to revolvers what do you get?  Actually IIRC you're still all revolvers only? Smiley Happy

The new aging values for February 1 would be:

AoOA: 2yr 2mo

AAoA: 1yr 6mo

AoYA: 1yr 2mo

AoYRA: 1yr 2mo

AAoRA: 1yr 2mo

(1 closed SSL that was open for 1 year before I applied for both of my cards. The SSL showed as closed the same month that both my new cards reported for the first time - January 2019.)

TU 8 also went up +7pts at AAoA 9mo (AoOA 1yr 5mo, AoYA 5mo, 5% to 9% individual(both) AND aggregate change.)

Now 9 months later (from AAoA 9mo to AAoA 1yr 6mo) TU 8 goes up another +7pts. Coincidence, or something about 'every 9mo' with TU?

Message 3 of 26
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I actually wonder if it’s because your file age is under 3 years (or so) or the fact it only has 3 total tradelines, or maybe even just 2 open ones when talking FICO 8.

Somehow people can get to 760 after a year and there is a lot of movement during that year. Conversely I don’t and haven’t moved much for years unless there is a meaningful change in my file.

I think there is a breakpoint either on age or tradeline count that buckets you and the metrics just behave differently in that scorecard. I think that is possible because we know none of the revolver age metrics matter in F8 and below on derogatory scorecards, and as such it isn’t a long walk to think you and a few others who all have limited history in common exist on a set of scorecards that behaves flatly differently.

End of the day we don’t get many zealous FICO trackers and some large percentage of the ones we do found this forum because they have dirt on their files and low scores and wanted to see how to improve.

As a result I think you were one of the first to do that but with CMS’s making some inroads and so we might get more confirmation data over time.

End of the day we just don’t know some of the more subtle things in the algorithms: broad strokes are well known, but specific breakpoints around aging of anything? Hard to figure out concretely.

I don’t think it is going to be that hard to nail it down for mature files, this forum is one of my few useful hobbies (credit and social analogue) so I expect I can setup a test on my file with Experian at least to nail that down, just wish I had pulled the trigger on this last card a month ago and I could’ve been assured it would show up in time but wasn’t thinking that way then, wasn’t till I realized that the closing costs make refinancing not really worth it when I am paid off in 10 years or less even today.

        
Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rev On all these one-year-old files that can hit 760, are they thin or do they get over five accounts or so?
Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Rev On all these one-year-old files that can hit 760, are they thin or do they get over five accounts or so?

I've seen people on Reddit report a TU 8 score of 760 at 8 or 9 months through their Discover Student card account. It was their starter card and the only account on file.

That seems pretty common. My own TU 8 score of 742 at 8 months could have been had at 7mos if I was just at AZEO 1 month earlier. That was with 1 inquiry still scorable. The Reddit posts showed zero inquiries on their TU report from Discover. That definitely helps, since that can be 15-20 points for people new-to-credit as I found out from my own 3B reports.

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:
I actually wonder if it’s because your file age is under 3 years (or so) or the fact it only has 3 total tradelines, or maybe even just 2 open ones when talking FICO 8.

I think the tradeline count is definitely hurting my EX 8 score. It's 735 now with 1yr 1mo of revolving history and 2yr 1mo total credit history.

People with 3 cards seem to do a lot better on EX 8 even before 1yr total credit history. The 1yr of installment history/closed loan doesn't seem to help me that much with EX 8. Hardly anyone new to credit posts their MTG and AUTO scores, so I can't compare to see if the closed loan is helping those scores.

I also seem to have switched scorecards right at 1yr total revolving credit history. My AoOA was 2yrs 0mos on the same date, so I did not see the same INQ losses returned - it was much lower on all 3 CRAs. Had I not switched scorecards, that would have been +19 on EX 8 and +20 on EQ 8.

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous No doubt you experienced scorecard reassignment at 1 year AoYRA, as does everyone on a clean card. That is the breakpoint for segmentation on Version 8.

Sucks that coincided with the AoOA turning 2 years. Would've been nice to have had that discrete.

So what's up with that BCE and Discover? Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@AnonymousNo doubt you experienced scorecard reassignment at 1 year AoYRA, as does everyone on a clean card. That is the breakpoint for segmentation on Version 8.

I guess it makes sense. I always thought it was based entirely on AoOA or AAoA.

So what's up with that BCE and Discover? Smiley Wink

Don't hold your breath. haha

Now off to Superbowl party. This will be the second football game I've watched all year. lol

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that’s the question: which will be your next reassignment? To a thick file or to an aged file? 😉
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.