cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU Score Dropped by 50 Points???????

tag
Barneygirl
Frequent Contributor

Re: TU Score Dropped by 50 Points???????

sorry guys, I appreciate the suggestions, but now I'm even MORE confused than I was before Smiley Happy   Is Equifax Score Power (FICO '04) available somewhere? 

Sorry to ask such a seemingly silly question, but there are SO MANY different versions of all of these scores I don't even know where to turn now that EQ and TU have changed their scoring.... again.  UGH!!!!! 

Also, my mortgage company pulls all three .... so I need to check...all three.  However, I heard that the mortgage industry has standardized on one version (FICO '04)??

Any guidance on where I can get my hands on TU/EX utilizing FICO '04?

Current FICO Scores: EQ749; TU732; EX733
Message 11 of 32
user5387
Valued Contributor

@Barneygirl wrote:

sorry guys, I appreciate the suggestions, but now I'm even MORE confused than I was before Smiley Happy   Is Equifax Score Power (FICO '04) available somewhere? 

Sorry to ask such a seemingly silly question, but there are SO MANY different versions of all of these scores I don't even know where to turn now that EQ and TU have changed their scoring.... again.  UGH!!!!! 

Also, my mortgage company pulls all three .... so I need to check...all three.  However, I heard that the mortgage industry has standardized on one version (FICO '04)??

Any guidance on where I can get my hands on TU/EX utilizing FICO '04?

I believe that mortgage companies typically pull all three 04 scores.

Sources for these scores:

EX 04 - PSECU

EQ 04 - DCU, EQ web site (Score Power FICO product)

Message 12 of 32
iv
Valued Contributor

Revelate wrote: Hate to say this but none of the scores currently purchasable from myFICO are used in a mortgage.

Yeah...  Not offering any FICO 04 options here, when that's all that almost any mortgage app will currently look at - kinda makes some of the myFICO marketing materials at best out-of-date, and at worst intentionally misleading.

Consider these:

Your FICO® score is essential for getting a good mortgage – today more than ever.

http://www.myfico.com/helpcenter/mortgages/buying_a_home.aspx

Make sure you know your score!

Knowing that a good FICO® score can save you thousands of dollars each year on your mortgage, can you afford not to know yours? Most mortgage lenders will look at your FICO scores from TransUnion, Equifax and Experian when evaluating your loan application. myFICO recommends that you ask your mortgage lender what your FICO scores need to be to qualify for their best rates and then check your scores. If your FICO scores aren't high enough, it may be in your best interest to wait until your scores change. If your score meets your lender's requirement for the rate you want, then now might be a good time to refinance. Knowing your FICO scores will help you make the best decision.

Get the Score Lenders Use to Evaluate Your Home Mortgage Loan

http://www.myfico.com/loancenter/mortgage/step1/getthescores.aspx

After you’ve determined that you’re ready to buy a home, you need to understand how lenders see you. Lenders will determine your credit-worthiness based on your three FICO® scores.

By getting your scores, you can be sure that you know the kind of loan offers you should be receiving before lenders present you with numbers.

Both claim that the myFICO-reported scores will be representative of the scores pulled for mortgages - questionably true back when it was 98/04/08 being pulled for TU/EQ/EX, but completely false now, with FICO 8 across the board on all three.

With incorrect information like that being provided by myFICO, is it really a surprise that new people coming to these forums are frequently confused about the scores provided here, and how they relate to those from their brokers/lenders?

Unless myFICO knows something we don't (Are the GSEs about to switch to FICO 8? Possible, but unlikely.) - They need to either remove the text indicating that mortgage-related scores can be pulled here, or add a dual '04/'8 display by default (would be nice, but also unlikely).

@Revelate:  I know you're a non-employee volunteer moderator, but can you try to point one of the staff mods at this?

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 13 of 32
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@iv wrote:

Revelate wrote: Hate to say this but none of the scores currently purchasable from myFICO are used in a mortgage.

Yeah...  Not offering any FICO 04 options here, when that's all that almost any mortgage app will currently look at - kinda makes some of the myFICO marketing materials at best out-of-date, and at worst intentionally misleading.

Consider these:

Your FICO® score is essential for getting a good mortgage – today more than ever.

Knowing that a good FICO® score can save you thousands of dollars each year on your mortgage, can you afford not to know yours? Most mortgage lenders will look at your FICO scores from TransUnion, Equifax and Experian when evaluating your loan application. myFICO recommends that you ask your mortgage lender what your FICO scores need to be to qualify for their best rates and then check your scores. If your FICO scores aren't high enough, it may be in your best interest to wait until your scores change. If your score meets your lender's requirement for the rate you want, then now might be a good time to refinance. Knowing your FICO scores will help you make the best decision.

After you’ve determined that you’re ready to buy a home, you need to understand how lenders see you. Lenders will determine your credit-worthiness based on your three FICO® scores.

By getting your scores, you can be sure that you know the kind of loan offers you should be receiving before lenders present you with numbers.

Both claim that the myFICO-reported scores will be representative of the scores pulled for mortgages - questionably true back when it was 98/04/08 being pulled for TU/EQ/EX, but completely false now, with FICO 8 across the board on all three.

With incorrect information like that being provided by myFICO, is it really a surprise that new people coming to these forums are frequently confused about the scores provided here, and how they relate to those from their brokers/lenders?

Unless myFICO knows something we don't (Are the GSEs about to switch to FICO 8? Possible, but unlikely.) - They need to either remove the text indicating that mortgage-related scores can be pulled here, or add a dual '04/'8 display by default (would be nice, but also unlikely).

@Revelate:  I know you're a non-employee volunteer moderator, but can you try to point one of the staff mods at this?

Was already thinking that before I was halfway through your message: thank you for doing the research and posting this as I think it's a good and salient point.

I'll forward it to the FICO community folks, thank you again.

        
Message 14 of 32
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:

@iv wrote:

Consider these:

Was already thinking that before I was halfway through your message: thank you for doing the research and posting this as I think it's a good and salient point.

I'll forward it to the FICO community folks, thank you again.

@Anonymous: @iv you rock senor, thank you for the detailed feedback.

The FICO folks are going through the website and looking to improve it from a content perspective: it's going to take some time as FICO is of course in a highly regulated industry and as such legal and everyone else is involved, but it is being worked on and will be redressed.

        
Message 15 of 32
iv
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous: @iv you rock senor, thank you for the detailed feedback.

The FICO folks are going through the website and looking to improve it from a content perspective: it's going to take some time as FICO is of course in a highly regulated industry and as such legal and everyone else is involved, but it is being worked on and will be redressed.

@Revelate: Thanks for getting the right people looking at this.  Hopefully they can get the text cleaned up to reduce confusion.

(A bit surprised legal wasn't already reviewing for content changes, each time a scoring model change was done, or when a CRA's reports became available/unavailable from myFICO... But at least it's happening now.)

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 16 of 32
EW800
Valued Contributor

Would anyone know if there is anything from preventing myFICO from having/bring-back a 04 option?   is it possible we could see this option in the future again?  From a business perspective, I would think they would want to sell all the products they can, so perhaps there is much more involved in what models they can/will sell to us?

Thanks for any thoughts!  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 17 of 32
user5387
Valued Contributor

@EW800 wrote:

Would anyone know if there is anything from preventing myFICO from having/bring-back a 04 option?   is it possible we could see this option in the future again?  From a business perspective, I would think they would want to sell all the products they can, so perhaps there is much more involved in what models they can/will sell to us?

Thanks for any thoughts!  

I don't know why they don't.

However, if the complete 04 and 08 series are both made available, then I imagine that there'd be endless debates about which one is the "true" score.

People would naturally gravitate toward the higher score as their "true" score.

Message 18 of 32
Barneygirl
Frequent Contributor

thanks to all who have chimed in on this thread....

to add insult to injury... I was able to get a judgment successfully removed from TU!! (yippee on that!)... and excited to see how it would impact my TU FICO score, I pulled today's report.  IT DROPPED!!!!!!!!!  Only one point... but at what point does pulling a judgment off of your credit report actually DROP your credit score?? Smiley Sad

thoroughly disappointed and disgusted Smiley Sad   now I walk into a mortgage with "questionable" FICO scoring from here... and the only way to find out is to have a hard inquiry added to my CR from my loan officer to see what it REALLY is. 

I question WHY I pay for this site at all....other than you fine, helpful folks on the community boards Smiley Happy

Current FICO Scores: EQ749; TU732; EX733
Message 19 of 32
physicist82
Regular Contributor

@Barneygirl wrote:

thanks to all who have chimed in on this thread....

to add insult to injury... I was able to get a judgment successfully removed from TU!! (yippee on that!)... and excited to see how it would impact my TU FICO score, I pulled today's report.  IT DROPPED!!!!!!!!!  Only one point... but at what point does pulling a judgment off of your credit report actually DROP your credit score?? Smiley Sad

thoroughly disappointed and disgusted Smiley Sad   now I walk into a mortgage with "questionable" FICO scoring from here... and the only way to find out is to have a hard inquiry added to my CR from my loan officer to see what it REALLY is. 

I question WHY I pay for this site at all....other than you fine, helpful folks on the community boards Smiley Happy

I imagine a mortgage lender would do a hard pull regardless of how many reports and scores you bring in. 

I have the EQ score power and its $15/mon for equifax credit monitoring, you get a 3 bureau report when you first sign up and then you get 4 free fico 04 model scores that you can use at your leisure throughout the year. So you would at least be able to see your accurate EQ score once a mon or more if it will be less than 4 mon. 

If you have capital one's credit tracker for TU they were about 10 points lower then our TU Fico 04 model score. 

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.