cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU Score Dropped by 50 Points???????

tag
Barneygirl
Frequent Contributor

Re: TU Score Dropped by 50 Points???????

I'm not looking to bring in a score to my lender.  I "used" to know what my scores were.... or that they were at least within 5pts of what the lender saw.  I refinanced my existing home 6 months ago, and am building a second (new primary) home... and am completely at a loss for what they are NOW. 

Credit Karma says one thing, Capital One says something different, Discover Card says something different, and now myFICO dropped (specifically my TU score) over 50+ points with the change to '08, and I have NO CLUE what to expect when I have my lender pull for the new home!! 

I USED to have a TU score over 680... now my TU score is just barely over 630!!  And the ONLY thing that changed is that I have had a Judgment REMOVED! (and that was AFTER the initial 50pt drop!)

What used to give me a sense of security (myFICO), now just stresses me out Smiley Sad

Current FICO Scores: EQ749; TU732; EX733
Message 21 of 32
user5387
Valued Contributor

@Barneygirl wrote:

I'm not looking to bring in a score to my lender.  I "used" to know what my scores were.... or that they were at least within 5pts of what the lender saw.  I refinanced my existing home 6 months ago, and am building a second (new primary) home... and am completely at a loss for what they are NOW. 

Credit Karma says one thing, Capital One says something different, Discover Card says something different, and now myFICO dropped (specifically my TU score) over 50+ points with the change to '08, and I have NO CLUE what to expect when I have my lender pull for the new home!! 

I USED to have a TU score over 680... now my TU score is just barely over 630!!  And the ONLY thing that changed is that I have had a Judgment REMOVED! (and that was AFTER the initial 50pt drop!)

What used to give me a sense of security (myFICO), now just stresses me out Smiley Sad

Are your housing lenders using other than the 04 score series?  The 04 scores are available several places.

Message 22 of 32
Barneygirl
Frequent Contributor

well, that's what I've been trying to figure out... is where to get the '04 models Smiley Happy  Obviously I can't get them here.

I know I can buy the '04 model on EQ.... but have NO CLUE where to find the other two Smiley Happy

Transunion is the one I am concerned about... as that one took the biggest hit (over 50 pts) with the switch to '08.... so before I walk in the door, I'd like to at least know where I'm at on the '04 model Smiley Happy

Some folks have noted that different credit unions offer them, but that requires being a member of the credit union... which of course, I dont Smiley Happy

ANY IDEA where I can get the '04 TU and EX would be helpful Smiley Happy

Thanks!!

Message 23 of 32
user5387
Valued Contributor

@Barneygirl wrote:

well, that's what I've been trying to figure out... is where to get the '04 models Smiley Happy  Obviously I can't get them here.

I know I can buy the '04 model on EQ.... but have NO CLUE where to find the other two Smiley Happy

Transunion is the one I am concerned about... as that one took the biggest hit (over 50 pts) with the switch to '08.... so before I walk in the door, I'd like to at least know where I'm at on the '04 model Smiley Happy

Some folks have noted that different credit unions offer them, but that requires being a member of the credit union... which of course, I dont Smiley Happy

ANY IDEA where I can get the '04 TU and EX would be helpful Smiley Happy

Thanks!!

I get EX 04 from PSECU, which of course requires membership.

Beyond this, I'd recommend doing two things:

1.  Assess how different the information is across your reports.  For example, if your TU report is similar to the EQ one, then I'd expect the scores to be similar.

2.  I'd suggest looking at the document that describes what is different in 08, and assess how that applies to your situation.  The document is here:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/questions/fico8.aspx

Message 24 of 32
Barneygirl
Frequent Contributor

Thanks.  I see what may have caused the significant decrease may be that I am an authorized user on my sister's credit card.  It is a legitimate "add" and wasn't added for the intention of credit repair, but rather because we share a household and wanted ONE card that both of us could use in the event of an emergency.

So, since the mortgage companies are still utilizing '04, is it safe to assume (I hate to assume) that my credit score via '04 "should" be similar to what it was prior to the switch to TU '08 on myFICO?

I was just creeping up on 700 (683) before they switched to '08 and now I'm down to a 633!!!  It hit in ONE NIGHT!  And nothing else changed on my CR until yesterday (the removal of the judgment)

Talk about a kick in the gut as you're getting ready to apply for a mortgage to have your score drop by 50 pts overnight, and to go from lots of breathing room to not even qualifying!  '08 doesn't like my profile much Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 32
physicist82
Regular Contributor

@Barneygirl wrote:

Thanks.  I see what may have caused the significant decrease may be that I am an authorized user on my sister's credit card.  It is a legitimate "add" and wasn't added for the intention of credit repair, but rather because we share a household and wanted ONE card that both of us could use in the event of an emergency.

So, since the mortgage companies are still utilizing '04, is it safe to assume (I hate to assume) that my credit score via '04 "should" be similar to what it was prior to the switch to TU '08 on myFICO?

I was just creeping up on 700 (683) before they switched to '08 and now I'm down to a 633!!!  It hit in ONE NIGHT!  And nothing else changed on my CR until yesterday (the removal of the judgment)

Talk about a kick in the gut as you're getting ready to apply for a mortgage to have your score drop by 50 pts overnight, and to go from lots of breathing room to not even qualifying!  '08 doesn't like my profile much Smiley Happy

I know exactly how you feel. When we got our scores pulled by our lender the first time they were all good. Then when they pulled again because we were out of the time frame from the previous pull a medical collection that we didn't even know we owed popped up and dropped our scores 60 points. Luckily we were able to get it removed and our scores recovered. 

Message 26 of 32
Barneygirl
Frequent Contributor

yikes!  now THAT timing stinks!!!  Good thing you were able to get it resolved quickly!!!

I just refinanced my existing home (to put my sister on the loan) in late February.  My TU score was in the low 670's at that point.  I've been doing what I can to clean it up, and get a few 'baddies' removed... even got a judgment removed!!  Have been paying all the bills on time, and even paying most of the CC's down to less than the 10% sweet spot monthly Smiley Happy   All in preparation for the new home mortgage (I'm building a second home).... and have been trying my hardest to get my score over 700 Smiley Happy

When the FICO '08 change hit TU on myFICO, it literally TANKED my score!!!!!  It went from 680s to the 630s!! And NOTHING changed.... it happened overnight!! (I check scores daily Smiley Happy )

Now I'm at a loss.... my TU vantage score is almost 800, my Cap1 TU score is 645.... but my TU FICO 08 score is 632!!!!!!!  Ouch!!

I have 4 months until I NEED to have the mortgage lender pull my credit report (I pre-qualified off my last refi scores thank god!).  But now I'm just trying to figure out WHERE to get a realistic TU score that will give me SOME realistic idea of what my lender will see come November!!  The last thing I need is to get to the end of build to have my credit score run and there's a HUGE discrepency!!

Message 27 of 32
fungoman
Regular Contributor

The differences between the 04 and 08 models are perplexing. I have a 758 today via Score power on the EQ 04, and myfico EQ 08 today of 791. I only have one AU account which is my DW Amex reporting a 1971 balance of 30k limit. Is that enough to alter my score 33 points? I dont see anything else in the changes to the 08 model that would affect me.

Message 28 of 32
Barneygirl
Frequent Contributor

Obviously the AU DOES make a HUGE difference.  That is the ONLY explaination I can come up with to explain a 50pt drop with NO other changes. 

I'm going to check scorepower today to see how much they differ with the same EQ report.  Will be interesting to see.... but once TU went to '08 on here, my TU score dropped the 50pts immediately!!  So I'd say that's pretty telling Smiley Happy

Message 29 of 32
Barneygirl
Frequent Contributor

Well, now that's interesting.... I just pulled my EQ ScorePower Score... and there's only a ONE POINT difference between '04 and '08!!!!

There's obviously 'something' in my TU profile that '08 doesn't like.... as my TU profile is VERY different than my EQ profile (missing accounts, etc).

I guess this gives me less of a 'warm fuzzy feeling' than before. UGH! Smiley Happy  

It sure would be nice if myFICO offered the '04 reports/scores for purchase!!!!

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.