cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU and Experian difference of 44 points...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

TU and Experian difference of 44 points...

My Experian is 760 but TU is 716.  Trying to find out whats leaving it behind. Just throwing this out there maybe someone can suggest something that maybe i'm missing. I know there is no exact science when it comes to CR's. But my curiosity is killing me.  These reports are almost identical. I have also compared paper reports. The inq's are different by only one. total accounts are different by only one 23 vs 24. which shows a little more debt on TU.  an installment loan (student loan). this makes the installment debt different by 5K more owed on TU vs the other installment debt on Experian.. TU has my oldest account at 22.7 vs 19.5 for Experian. Avg Acct Age is slightlyt different with Experian being slightly higher. 9.2 vs 8.7.. both reports clean. so just wondering (cause it may be normal for all i know) but having 5k more of installment debt showing along with .5 difference in Avg Age can equal 44 points? thx for any responses.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Re: TU and Experian difference of 44 points...

Perhaps the increase in debt amount on the TU report has pushed your overall utilization across a threshold ie the 9% overall, 29% overall, 49% ? Can you add up the balances vs credit limits on both and see if the EX is reporting a total of example 17%, but TU at 21%.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

do you mean my credit debt vs total credit? it's the same across all 3 CB's. or do you mean take those installment balances(student loans) and avg it into my credit utilization.

Message 3 of 15
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Yes, write down example Cap 1 balance $250/credit limit 1000, 25% utilization (reports on both)

Citi Bank $0/cl $1500, 0 utilization (reports on both)

Navy CU $5000/$10k , utilization 50% (reports on TU only)

so Experian would show a total overall utilization, of 10 percent, but TU has utilization forty something percent. 

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

they both report an overall 21% utilization.

Message 5 of 15
DollyLama
Established Contributor

So utilization is the exact same, with one bureau reporting a few thousand more and this 1 additional account. 

I don't have an answer on a clean file for this, are you get FAKO scores Credit Karma, Credit Sesame, etc, or Vantage Scores or FICO through here or with Credit Check Total?

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

i keep an eye on my fico scores and the various fako's on a regular basis. My current scores in the above post which are off are fico scores from CCT. maybe it's just the scoring model for TU.. I just wonder what could be causing the difference of 44 points with such similar reports. I even had 8 accounts on my TU report that fell off from old student loan lates. TU didnt move at all.

Message 7 of 15
DollyLama
Established Contributor

This one installment loan, is it your ONLY OPEN installment loan and ONLY reports on EX and not TU?

Or concerning lates or there any reported lates more on TU than EX? 

When you mention clean file, just to clarify, you are stating there is not a single account even if paid, that was derogatory in nature, paid charge offs, open accounts with some old late payments, paid medical bills that still show on any reports?

Message 8 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

How is your score that low at all if you're clean with that much history?  I assume you have a bunch of recent accounts or similar?

Something not adding up correctly; I don't know if CCT provides reason codes (I suspect they don't actually from BBS's reports) but if you see any negative stuff in their interface it'd be interesting to see for both EX and TU.

I know there's substantial bucket overlaps but I've been higher than that with 1/10th the history, tax liens, collections, lates (recent 30D too there) and of course inquiries on Transunion FICO 8.

Installment and revolving utilization are counted differently, but if I understand it your installment utilization (aggregate current balances vs. aggregate original balances) is somewhere north of 10% on both bureaus in which case that's a non-event certainly not of the 50 point variety (think 6-10 for the first breakpoint wherever that is).

If your revolving accounts and balances are the same, unless you got pattern bucketed as some data suggests you can, something sounds off.

        
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

my thoughts as well. both clean reports.  on credit check total the factors hurting your score for TU says installment balances, high credit usage, and short revolving history. factors under Experian show installment balances and high credit usage.. My equifax is 17 points higher than TU and it has a late on it...Another weird tidbit. Those student loans had lates fall off earlier this year. 8 different accounts had lates fall of on TU. The score moved 0 points.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.