Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The inconsistency is mind-boggling!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The inconsistency is mind-boggling!

I have a 787 FICO score.  I have 102,500 in available credit.  My credit utilization % is 1.85% ($1,900.00).   No late payments, average account is 14 years old.  I have had it as high as 817, but it drops for almost no apparent reason? Almost arbitrarily.  Last time it dropped because it stated I was utilizing too much credit, but my utilization was 2.1%!!!!!!!!!  That's .16% higher than it is now!!!!  Are you kidding me?  There are so many inconsistencies with this scoring, that it doesn't even make sense.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The inconsistency is mind-boggling!

Each CRA and associated score can be quirky and give their own reasons. Where did you get your FICO from and which CRA is it?

Message 2 of 12
MattieNumNums
Regular Contributor

My scores were off for the longest. For the first time ever both my CB's are reporting the EXACT same score, with different account info!

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got it here on Myfico.com, the CRA is Equifax.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW,  congrats on raising your score from the dead.  Keep up the good work!

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is your current utilization higher on one particular card than before?

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure, I switch cards all the time for rewards benefits, but always pay off the cards before balances are put on other cards.  The credit utilization percentage remains cnstant though.

Message 7 of 12
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sure, I switch cards all the time for rewards benefits, but always pay off the cards before balances are put on other cards.  The credit utilization percentage remains cnstant though.

I find that the negative score reasons get real funky from 785 on up -- assuming you get negative reasons at all. If you're seeing swings from month to month, then it's either a factor of the number of revolving trade lines reporting a balance or the utilization on the specific trade lines reporting.

Message 8 of 12
suzook1
Frequent Contributor

perhaps at your level with such high credit available maybe your quickly moving into such a category that you end up getting very little score movement for a lot of work? I am guessing but from what I seem you look like an easy 800+ candidate but there must be something not obvious holding you back from re-achieving that goal.

cant think of what else it could be.

Message 9 of 12
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

stan_the_man wrote:  I find that the negative score reasons get real funky from 785 on up -- assuming you get negative reasons at all. If you're seeing swings from month to month, then it's either a factor of the number of revolving trade lines reporting a balance or the utilization on the specific trade lines reporting.

+1

Once you're in that +760 group, the CRAs need a reason to exist for you, just to tell you what you're doing wrong. Sometimes, they need to stretch for an answer...

Don't sweat it.  You're golden!

Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.