Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ticked off and mad about it.

tag
Tiersha
Regular Contributor

Ticked off and mad about it.

I had, yeah freaking had, low-mid 700 range and in the process of a refi.  My cards are now reflected as AZEO.  I had one bad mark on my credit which was paid but now it has been removed.  Upon it being removed my score dumped 78 freaking points, absolutely killing my refi.

I have an excellent mix of credit and yr n half of no late payments...what in the actual hell happened here?  78 points damned near made me cry.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Ticked off and mad about it.

@Tiersha wrote:

I had, yeah freaking had, low-mid 700 range and in the process of a refi.  My cards are now reflected as AZEO.  I had one bad mark on my credit which was paid but now it has been removed.  Upon it being removed my score dumped 78 freaking points, absolutely killing my refi.

I have an excellent mix of credit and yr n half of no late payments...what in the actual hell happened here?  78 points damned near made me cry.

Hi and welcome to the forums. 

Really sorry for your score drop. We would need more info to determine the cause.  

Just want to confirm you are referring to FICO scores, and if so which FICO scoring model (FICO 8, 5, 4, 2, etc)? 

What type of negative was removed (collection, chargeoff)?  If a chargeoff, how old was it / was it your oldest account? 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Tiersha hi and welcome to the forums 

Where did you see this drop? 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Along the lines of where the prior two posters are going with this, we are assuming you got this info from Credit Karma or some other similar monitoring site. If so (and it does sound like it), pay that score drop no mind as it's not a FICO score and therefore isn't relevant to mortgage lending. I know of no instance where your profile would take that kind of hit from the removal of a derog. VantageScore, however, most definitely could. Good thing is VS scores aren't used for mortgages (or really much at all other than conning you into apping for cards to earn referral fees for credit monitoring sites).

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a bit confused by the original post.  You talked about having 1 negative mark on your credit and stated it was removed, which then equates to a clean file (no negatives at all).  You also said though that you have no lates in a year and a half, which then suggests that you have others that are older.  Please clarify on that.

As the other members have already asked, what is the source of the score that you're seeing the 78 point drop on?

The removal of a negative item isn't going to result in a 78 point Fico score drop.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed, but in Vantage it might. I've lost 37 points in VS3 for ZERO changes as reported by CK. If that derog was very old, VS3 may well ding you heavily for a lower AAoA.

Message 6 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Based on this thread, I don't think OP is referencing VS.

In any case, there were at least two or three instances where removal of last negative resulted in scoring drop (one was a BK). 

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could understand a scoring drop happening from scorecard reassignment but I wouldn't think one of nearly 80 points would happen solely from a derog drop...

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

Based on this thread, I don't think OP is referencing VS.

In any case, there were at least two or three instances where removal of last negative resulted in scoring drop (one was a BK). 

A scoring drop of the magnitude referenced by the OP though?

The scores referenced don't really support that.  Someone going from a (say) 725 dirty score isn't going to drop to (say) 650 from a scorecard reassignment to clean.  A 725 dirty card score suggests that profile outside of the dirt is relatively strong, certainly strong enough to yield a > 650 score once clean.

Message 9 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Ones I found via search function were from 13-25 points, so not this magnitude, but drops nonetheless. 

It's possible that there are other contributing factors if op went "clean"

New accounts, utilization etc are all weighted differently on clean vs dirty, so maybe it's a mix of things if OP is looking at fico scores. 

No idea really, Im just not willing to disregard any individual accounts since I've witnessed enough weirdness on my own profile to last me a lifetime. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.