Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TransUnion now looking at 36 months of credit history

tag
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

TransUnion now looking at 36 months of credit history

https://www.livemint.com/money/personal-finance/consumer-credit-scores-are-lower-as-we-have-changed-...

i don't know if this had been discussed before, but I just saw this. Definitely explains to me why my TU score is lower than the other too. If this is in the wrong place or old news , my apologies. 

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
6 REPLIES 6
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: TransUnion now looking at 36 months of credit history

This is what I don't get: (red text)

"For example, enquiries reflect how credit hungry a person is and how much the borrower is trying to increase his debt burden. Looking at enquiries over three years can reveal more about behaviour."

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 2 of 7
thornback
Senior Contributor

Unless I missed something while skimming through the article, this appears to be in reference to Transunion's CIBIL score  - which I don't believe is relevant to US credit  (TransUnion CIBIL Limited is formerly Credit Information Bureau (India) Limited).

FICO scores are based on the FICO scoring algorithm, not algorithms developed by the individual bureaus (though the bureaus do tweak the algo a bit to differentiate from one another).   Your FICO scores consider the entirety of your credit history -- so goes beyond 36 months so long as your length of credit is beyond 36 months.  So, this change is not why your Transunion FICO is lower than the others. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 3 of 7
REDBOYYY56
New Contributor

You're correct Thornback,i read that article over the weekend!

Message 4 of 7
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

@thornback wrote:

Unless I missed something while skimming through the article, this appears to be in reference to Transunion's CIBIL score  - which I don't believe is relevant to US credit  (TransUnion CIBIL Limited is formerly Credit Information Bureau (India) Limited).

FICO scores are based on the FICO scoring algorithm, not algorithms developed by the individual bureaus (though the bureaus do tweak the algo a bit to differentiate from one another).   Your FICO scores consider the entirety of your credit history -- so goes beyond 36 months so long as your length of credit is beyond 36 months.  So, this change is not why your Transunion FICO is lower than the others. 

Oh ok. Sorry then, I thought it was relevant to US FICO scores. 

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 5 of 7
thornback
Senior Contributor

@BmoreBull wrote:

Oh ok. Sorry then, I thought it was relevant to US FICO scores. 

No need to apologize.   Gauranteed you're not the only person to have read that article -- and since the geographical relavance wasn't explicitly stated,  it's good you posted so we could clear that up for anyone else they may have had a similar impression. Smiley Wink  -- so thank you for sharing it.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

One quick point. The bureaus do not tweak the fico algorithm. They have fico tweak it for them, is my understanding. The bureaus actually don’t know the complete proprietary details of the algorithm is my understanding.

Instead they have more of a higher level view rather than the minutiae and detail. At least that’s my understanding.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.