Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transunion 34 point drop and international spending relevance question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Transunion 34 point drop and international spending relevance question

So I opened my first ever card in January (Discover IT), and after six months got an official Transunion score of 771. The number really surprised me so I thought I would take a shot at the Chase Sapphire Preferred, but was denied because my credit history was too short. Score took a small hit for the inquiry down to 767, which was  no big deal. 

Took a trip to Europe in August, so I wanted to grab a card with a VISA brand with no international fees (since termporarily the Chase wasn't an optinon), so I applied for the BoA Travel Rewards card in July and was approved with a $1500 CL. I figured the European trip would be a great way to knock out the $1000 sign up bonus, and was able to use it for about 90% of my purchases while there. As I already had all of my money in the bank that I intended to spend on that trip, I made it a point to almost immediately pay off the fees once they were posted (I don't think I ever let the number get above $200 before I payed off the balance in full), and I made sure it was payed down to around $50 before the card reported, meanwhile not using the Discover card whatsoever. I never went above 30% and was paying off every 2-3 days or so, but managed to spend a little over $800 during my three week trip, which gave me my bonus when combined with the bit I had spent on the card the month before I left. 

Meanwhile, in August after my first BoA report was added to my credit report, my score remained static at 767, and I figured it would be beneficial to get one more card in order to utilize the three card FICO gardening for a while so I can eventually apply for the Chase card sometime next summer before I travel again. So I applied for the AMEX BCE card and was just approved on Thursday. 

Anyways, this morning I got my report, and the TU had tanked from 767 to 733! Although it's not a terrible score or anything like that, that's a rather substancial difference, especially in regards to the credit brackets, as I've technically dropped down from "excellent" to "good". Now I expected to go down another 4-5 points from the hard inquiry, but 30+ points seems rather excessive, and I'm trying to figure out how that happened. I've never missed a payment, and have always reported less than 30% (I've actually never even had more than 30% running at any time), and I'm usually below 9% when the statement reports.

I've been trying to figure it out, but the only thing really new is the BoA card, and the Amex inquiry. Would a lot of international spending cause the score to plumit like it did? Also, as I was traveling my average monthly spending went to about 300% of my average, but I would pay everything off in full within a day or two of it posting, except for the small lingering balance I left for the BoA statement report in order to show utilization. Would that adversely affect my FICO, as I don't normally spend money that quickly even though I was paying off the balance almost immediately? Or do they view international spending as a higher risk?

I expected to maybe drop into the 750s after both inquiries, as I meticulously monitored my spending and didn't expect to take a hit from that, but a 34 point drop is bit more severe than I had anticipated. I've browsed the forum a bit, but am still scratching my head.

Where did I mess up?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Transunion 34 point drop and international spending relevance question

I think that because you have recently been seeking for credit, that along with your thin credit history, your score will definitely take a dip for a time. But it will rebound within 3 mos. so as long as you pay your bills on time and keeping your UT low. Your scores will be sure to recover in no time. Each time a new account gets reported, it brings down your AAoA thereby lowering your score, which is what happened. Don't worry about it so much, you also have the AMEX card being the third card that will be added to your CR in a couple of mos., so expect that would result in more point decreases on top of the dip you have already experienced with BofA reporting. Good thing is that you are aging both accounts together and with good payment histories and some good old fashioned gardening, you will be back in the mid 700's in no time

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have such a thin new file anything can/will cause wild swings in scores. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You have such a thin new file anything can/will cause wild swings in scores. 

Gotcha. Hopefully if I just sit on these three cards for some time it will climb back in time to apply for a more useful travel card before next summer.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.