Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transunion FICO 8 reason codes shifts recent 30/60D

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Transunion FICO 8 reason codes shifts recent 30/60D

So this one's interesting and may actually help explain some things in general like why we've had trouble nailing down things like installment utilization breakpoints.

4/30/2018: 779->782 (balance change or whatever)

• Number of accounts with delinquency.
  • Length of time accounts have been established.
  • Length of time revolving accounts have been established

Note, only 3 reason codes at all, the deliquency was a 30D from 10/2015 so more than 2 years old (on the same JCB account that's about to go into the toilet again for similar reasons).  No inquiries, no CFA on this account, pretty darned clean.

5/2/2018: 782->736 

• Number of accounts with delinquency.
  • Time since delinquency is too recent or unknown.
  • Length of time revolving accounts have been established.

This was with the addition of a 30D late on Transunion, resetting the most recent from 2+ years ago to right now, nothing else to really note here.

5/31/2018: 736->744

Some balance cleanups, no change in reason codes from above.

6/1/2018: 744->701 (sigh, 60D on a late fee).

• Serious delinquency.
  • Time since delinquency is too recent or unknown.
  • Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too high.

So the first is pretty obvious, 60D = serious deliquency, and may have shifted me into a derogatory scorecard.

The last one is where it gets interesting from a SSL perspective: my mortgage had basically one more payment (balance going down) but suddenly I went from 3 in basically a cleanish/30D bucket, to 4 and loan balances of all things.

Current mortgage is: 218,959/258,750  84.6%

So for all the debates that we've had, maybe we just had folks in different scorecards resulting in the different observations via reason codes.

        
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Re: Transunion FICO 8 reason codes shifts recent 30/60D

Dirty scorecards are known to weigh attributes differently than clean scorecards. Interesting but, not really surprising, that high installment loan B/L might be more of a concern with dirty files. Perhaps higher risk of default necessitates putting increased signal strength on B/L. Also interesting is the drop off of "length of time revolving accounts have been established". This suggests de-emphasis on revolving accounts relative to loans.

Side note:

BBS mentioned his: "proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too high" reason statement went away when his mortgage B/L dropped below 80%. Not sure of his scorecard status at the time - perhaps it coincided with his dirty => clean transition.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 2 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

That is a good point about the length of revolving history: I never had that ever reported in my prior dirty incarnation.

Interesting comment that proportion of loan balances might be not factored in higher brackets as a reason code but I recall that people with clean scorecards in that long-running SSL thread did get a boost at 9% by playing the reindeer games, so I'm not sure how it tracks... it may be the same mechanic just without a reason code, which would be weird but it's FICO.

That said, 7 years on that damned 60D late, and a 15 year mortgage, I will be at 80% long before I get out of this scorecard on TU haha.  If we're both still around at that point it'll be an interesting thing to look at.  Actually that's about 9 months away for me.

        
Message 3 of 11
arkane
Established Contributor

Sorry for the hijack but this thread reminded me of the one I made a while back about my score dropping after opening up an Alliant SSL: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Alliant-SSL-caused-FICO-score-DROP/m-p/5...

In hindsight, I think the most straightforward explanation is I simply got moved to a different scorecard. Either a different scorecard exists for those who have (open) installment loans vs those who don't, or going from 4 to 5 open tradelines crossed FICO's threshold for a "thick" file. Or it could be both. Either way I've regained all lost ground on EQ and then some on both TU and EX after letting accounts age. I know for my file the score boost when AoYA reached 3 months was much more significant (>10 points across each CRA) than 6 months (no change on EQ and TU, +4 on EX).

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@arkane

In hindsight, I think the most straightforward explanation is I simply got moved to a different scorecard. Either a different scorecard exists for those who have (open) installment loans vs those who don't, or going from 4 to 5 open tradelines crossed FICO's threshold for a "thick" file. Or it could be both.

Thick vs Thin file is a known factor in scorecard assignment, where the presence of an open installment loan is not.

Message 5 of 11
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

That is a good point about the length of revolving history: I never had that ever reported in my prior dirty incarnation.

Interesting comment that proportion of loan balances might be not factored in higher brackets as a reason code but I recall that people with clean scorecards in that long-running SSL thread did get a boost at 9% by playing the reindeer games, so I'm not sure how it tracks... it may be the same mechanic just without a reason code, which would be weird but it's FICO.Quote

That said, 7 years on that damned 60D late, and a 15 year mortgage, I will be at 80% long before I get out of this scorecard on TU haha.  If we're both still around at that point it'll be an interesting thing to look at.  Actually that's about 9 months away for me.

I suspect loan balances are looked at with all scorecards. However, high B/L appears to carry less weight (signal strength) with clean scorecards. Conversely, I suspect revolving credit and # cards with a balance in particular, is given more weight (signal strength) with clean scorecards. The same treatment (greater weighting for clean) certainly appears to be true for aggregate revolving utilization.

Message 6 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Interesting comment that proportion of loan balances might be not factored in higher brackets as a reason code but I recall that people with clean scorecards in that long-running SSL thread did get a boost at 9% by playing the reindeer games, so I'm not sure how it tracks... it may be the same mechanic just without a reason code, which would be weird but it's FICO.Quote

I suspect loan balances are looked at with all scorecards. However, high B/L appears to carry less weight (signal strength) with clean scorecards. Conversely, I suspect revolving credit and # cards with a balance in particular, is given more weight (signal strength) with clean scorecards. The same treatment (greater weighting for clean) certainly appears to be true for aggregate revolving utilization.

Hmm.

Are we in agreement that 60D late = dirty scorecard?  The reason code shifts seem to suggest that actually.

Once things settle down and sometime before my future Tesla gets financed, I'll see if I can walk the balances through 1->14 or 15 (Amex, I need to go look at my old data on that one) as I know a 30D late is still in the pretty scorecards.

Oh interestingly enough, I was looking through my 1/1/18 3B report, and sure enough on FICO 9: installment loan balances reason code on an uber clean file, it's just so hard to determine weight for FICO 8 when FICO supresses reason codes on clean files and the enhanced versions are automagically suspect for when it comes to Classic weights.

We might or maybe someone like CGD might have done some analysis on the SSL thread and see where various scorecards got what score result, but I recall seeing pretty scorecards get higher boosts with the SSL generally (arkane your AOYA is a bucketable thing in pretty scorecards) than I did when I was playing with it.  

        
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was always under the impression that a 60 day late did not necessarily mean a dirty score card, where a 90 day late or greater would.  I always thought that 30's and 60's were considered minors where 90's and greater were majors.  Maybe my understanding here has always been off?

Message 8 of 11
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

I generally think a 60 day late relegates a file to a dirty scorecard when it posts.

However, after time served for good behavior it's possible the file could be transferred to a probationary clean scorecard. Time since and QTY on file do appear to be considerations.

We have seen from graphed data shared by ABCD that impact of both 30 day and 60 day lates taper off substantially over time.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could it also have to do with number of 60 day lates?  Perhaps an isolated one is viewed differently than multiples?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.