Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding Status vs. Remarks in CR

tag
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Understanding Status vs. Remarks in CR

I had a mortgage short sale a few years ago.  At the time I couldn't have cared less as my credit was in the tank, but lately I've been attacking the CB's trying to get anything cleaned up I can.  When I was reviewing the mortgage loan I noticed the status field contradicts the remarks they inserted.  So I'm thinking the status is derived from the codes the creditor assigns to the account and is used in FICO scoring, and the remarks are a free-text field that would not be a FICO factor but would be considered on manual reviews.  Does this sound correct?  Any insight would help.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
AH64

Re: Understanding Status vs. Remarks in CR

Same question, it doesn't look like anyone answered the question or bounce

Message 2 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 3 of 11
AH64

Capital one is giving Equifax a status on an account that was settled, below are the items in question.

Shouldn't the status be changed once it is paid in settlement?

1) Balance:$0 Past Due: $0 Acct Status: CHARGE-OFF 2) Current Status: CHARGE-OFF 3)
Comments:Account paid for less than full balance, Charged off account  
  My Fico is giving the status of
 Previously reportedNewly reported
Balance:$0 
Past due:$0$0
Status:Bad Debt; Placed for collection;Bad Debt; Placed for collection;
Last activity:5/1/20085/1/2008
Description:Settlement accepted on this account Charge off account Amount in H/C column is credit limit Closed or Paid Account/Zero Balance Settlement accepted on this account Charge off account
     and on Equifax CF this activity description
Activity Description:

Paid and Closed

Message 4 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

AFAIK the status of the account should say paid after CO or along those lines.

It is showing paid and closed so who ever sees it will know it is paid.  It isn't going to make a difference in your score either way.

Message 5 of 11
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@ Jakes The settled account will affect the FICO the score. The status of the account is correct a settled account is a legally paid account for less than  full balance.. The remark is added to notate that it was for less than full balance.  Was this a short sale of some type?

@AH64   The status of the account is correct a settled account is a legally paid account for less than  full balance..  Basically this was  a collecition or charge off account that was settled for less than full balance.  Also could be reported as a paid collection ro a paid charge off account. Is that reporting not correct?

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 6 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@AndySoCal wrote:

@ Jakes The settled account will affect the FICO the score. The status of the account is correct a settled account is a legally paid account for less than  full balance.. The remark is added to notate that it was for less than full balance.  Was this a short sale of some type?

@AH64   The status of the account is correct a settled account is a legally paid account for less than  full balance..  Basically this was  a collecition or charge off account that was settled for less than full balance.  Also could be reported as a paid collection ro a paid charge off account. Is that reporting not correct?

A settled account is scored on par with the CO.  You are trading one negative for another so it isn't going to cause the score to drop.

The status of the account says bad debt/collections.  It should say paid.  The comments are ok.

Message 7 of 11
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@Guiness56 With Jakes atrade line there is no indication that is was ever a charge off. IWth Ah64 yes I would agree with your statement.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 8 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I don't see where he posted exactly what was written.  However, a settlement is scored on par with the CO, collection, foreclosure, short sale, etc.

Message 9 of 11
AH64

@guiness56 So if I under stand you correctly; on the status of an account it dose not matter if the OC is reporting Charge off when the account was settled.

If that is the case I will stand down. It just seems to bother me when i am looking at Myfico and see the statement of Bad Debt placed for collections when equifax account status says Charge off. The Myfico sounds much worse than what it is.  

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.