cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexplained 50 point score jump?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Unexplained 50 point score jump?

I've been coasting at FICO score for ~730 for a at least a year. All of a sudden the last 2 months according to Citi has jumped to 798.

I havent done anything abnormal. I do carry ~10k debt between student loans and some old balances ive been balance transfering back and forth at 3% APR per year. I'm now at 40 open credit cards and 5 closed based on my wishes. My oldest card is a 5.8 year old secured card. The only difference i see is my AAOC has passed 3 years. Could that be it? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Unexplained 50 point score jump?

Is that CITI EQ Bankcard 8?

I don't recall AAoA at 3 years to be a segmentation threshold.

Have you pulled your 3 bureaus FICO 8 scores?

Have you compared the before and after reports?

Did you have any derogatories or delinquencies?
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Super Contributor

What is your AoYA Age of Youngest Account?
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@KnowlIsPower wrote:

I've been coasting at FICO score for ~730 for a at least a year. All of a sudden the last 2 months according to Citi has jumped to 798.

I havent done anything abnormal. I do carry ~10k debt between student loans and some old balances ive been balance transfering back and forth at 3% APR per year. I'm now at 40 open credit cards and 5 closed based on my wishes. My oldest card is a 5.8 year old secured card. The only difference i see is my AAOC has passed 3 years. Could that be it? 

No that couldn't be it. It's got to be something else.

Total revolving limits 654000 (575000 reporting) FICO 8 EQ 714 TU 731 EX 713

Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Super Contributor

As AllZero said, if you’re getting it from Citibank, it is the bankcard flavor of 8 that maxes out at 900, not the classic 8 that maxes at 850.

So your 730s, what flavor were they?
For a collection of our current FICO scoring wisdom, updated as we learn, read the following. Watch the revision dates on the bottom of the first 8 posts as they are regularly updated: Link to Scoring Primer.

RIP:

Updated June 2020, unless otherwise noted. I took an HP on EX, will reflect on next update.

(Forgive typos, mobile.)(Everything said is Just IMHO.)

In order to better answer your questions and record your DPs, please provide your profile stats: Any baddies? Severity and recency? (clean/dirty), Number of accounts, both open and closed on CRs (thick/thin), AoOA? (Mature/young), AOYRA-Age of Youngest Revolving Account (new accounts/no new accounts)? Open/closed loan on CR?
For example, mine is clean/thick/mature/new account, with open loan on record.
If you don't know where you fall, just detail any baddies, your number of open and closed accounts, AoOA, AOYRA and whether you have a loan on record to start.

For utilization questions, list individual and aggregate utilizations, revolving and installment, please.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.