Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*Update* About to take a Big Score Hit

tag
Ceewin
Regular Contributor

*Update* About to take a Big Score Hit

Hello All!

Well, I thought my one and only installment (auto) loan would mature Aug 2022 but actually matured this month! I have to pay it in full by 7/13 in order to not have a 30-day late report.  Currently it's 91% paid off and I gained a Whopping 8 points accross all three bureaus. Yes, I was expecting more but having a monthly-updating CA and a young-thin file was probably the reason it was only 8 points.  Those two things are also the reason why I'll probably have a 20+ point loss when it updates to a Zero Balance Installment Loan.  Any other time, this wouldn't be a problem, but we're in the process of having a house built (est completion Aug 31 2022).  This means no new accounts so getting a NAVY FCU SSL is out...

I'm also aware I'll probably lose more once a new mortgage account reports. Smiley Surprised

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Ceewin
Regular Contributor

Re: About to take a Big Score Hit! Help!

EDIT:  After thinking about it a bit more, I think I'm just going to take 1/2 of the "freed up $$" and add it our mortgage payment and put the other 1/2 in savings/retirement account.  I can't delete this post so I welcome any comments about what others would do in the same situation. Smiley HappySmiley WinkSmiley Happy

Message 2 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Ceewin wrote:

Hello All!

Well, I thought my one and only installment (auto) loan would mature Aug 2022 but actually matured this month! I have to pay it in full by 7/13 in order to not have a 30-day late report.  Currently it's 91% paid off and I gained a Whopping 8 points accross all three bureaus. Yes, I was expecting more but having a monthly-updating CA and a young-thin file was probably the reason it was only 8 points.  Those two things are also the reason why I'll probably have a 20+ or more point loss when it updates to a Zero Balance Installment Loan.  Any other time, this wouldn't be a problem, but we're in the process of having a house built (est completion Aug 31 2022).  This means no new accounts so getting a NAVY FCU SSL is out...

How long before I can regain the loss points? I'm also aware I'll probably lose more once a new mortgage account reports. Smiley Surprised

Just let the chips fall where they may...?  *shrugs shoulders*

Installment utilization, which is what you're concerned about, has little or no effect on mortgage scores.  So breathe.

And don't delay. Pay it off immediately. You'll have one less "account with balance" which might actually give you a net increase on your mortgage scores.

Frankly I can't understand why, with a mortgage coming up, you're making the payment late. Please pay it today.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

There isnt a HP for a SSL. Your borrowing your own $. Not the banks.

Message 4 of 14
Ceewin
Regular Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Installment utilization, which is what you're concerned about, has little or no effect on mortgage scores.  So breathe.

And don't delay. Pay it off immediately. You'll have one less "account with balance" which might actually give you a net increase on your mortgage scores.

Yep.  Breathing is the only thing I can control right now. Smiley Very Happy  Thanks for the insight.  I can only hope to get some increase after all these changes occur/update.  

Honestly, I'm about done playing this "Game of Scores"...that is...until my last baddie falls off in April 2023! Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 14
Ceewin
Regular Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

There isnt a HP for a SSL. Your borrowing your own $. Not the banks.

@FireMedic1  Thanks!  I'll probably look into getting one after all the dust settles and my last baddie is gone! Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: About to take a Big Score Hit

@Ceewin wrote:

EDIT:  After thinking about it a bit more, I think I'm just going to take 1/2 of the "freed up $$" and add it our mortgage payment and put the other 1/2 in savings/retirement account.  I can't delete this post so I welcome any comments about what others would do in the same situation. Smiley HappySmiley WinkSmiley Happy

While users cannot delete posts, Moderators can. Part of the "report inappropriate content" tool enables requests to Mods to delete my own posts, such as when my browser shows an error, and I end up double posting / replying the same text twice,

Users do have the ability to edit their own posts, with a useful hack being to delete all text except for a necessary single character such as a period. You also have the ability to edit the headline of a post, for example if the urgency has been resolved. 

Congrats on getting a new house built! It's an exciting time for your family!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 14
Ceewin
Regular Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

While users cannot delete posts, Moderators can. Part of the "report inappropriate content" tool enables requests to Mods to delete my own posts, such as when my browser shows an error, and I end up double posting / replying the same text twice,

Users do have the ability to edit their own posts, with a useful hack being to delete all text except for a necessary single character such as a period. You also have the ability to edit the headline of a post, for example if the urgency has been resolved. 

Congrats on getting a new house built! It's an exciting time for your family!

@NRB525  Hmmm...but you didn't answer the questionSmiley LOL....Just Kidding! Just Kidding!

Thank you! We are very excited about the new build and thank you for those helpful tips!  I've made some edits...and...the auto loan is now paid in full.  It actually feels great to be done with it!Smiley Very Happy  

Message 8 of 14
Ceewin
Regular Contributor

The results are in Smiley Frustrated :

I was penalized HEAVILY on EXP Fico 8 !Smiley Surprised

Here's what's changed on my reports:

1.Discover (Primary) util increased from <1% to 3% -- $137 Bal of $4k CL                                                        

2.No Balance reported on any of my AU accounts = -15 Points

3.Auto Installment Loan PIF = -33 points

Total Loss of Points = 48 Points!! (EX8: 721 to 673; EX Mtg Score: 718 to 709)

I can't begin to expess how disheartening this is.  When are the "powers that be" going to recognize paying off an installment loan should either reflect a score increase or (in the least) no score change at all.  Not having an open installment loan should not seem risky to lenders, especially when a potential borrower's credit report shows an installment account closed/paid in full.

FYI...I'll probably gain those AU @ Zero points back by next reporting...maybe soonerSmiley Wink

Message 9 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: *Update* About to take a Big Score Hit

@Ceewin wrote:

Hello All!

Well, I thought my one and only installment (auto) loan would mature Aug 2022 but actually matured this month! I have to pay it in full by 7/13 in order to not have a 30-day late report.  Currently it's 91% paid off and I gained a Whopping 8 points accross all three bureaus. Yes, I was expecting more but having a monthly-updating CA and a young-thin file was probably the reason it was only 8 points.  Those two things are also the reason why I'll probably have a 20+ point loss when it updates to a Zero Balance Installment Loan.  Any other time, this wouldn't be a problem, but we're in the process of having a house built (est completion Aug 31 2022).  This means no new accounts so getting a NAVY FCU SSL is out...

I'm also aware I'll probably lose more once a new mortgage account reports. Smiley Surprised

The mortgage scores don't react to installment utilization like the FICO 8 scores. Usually they do not react at all. Some react, but much more slightly.

You might even experience a point gain, due to having one less account with balance.

Don't delay, pay it. You only have a couple of business days left.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.