Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Personal Info ?

tag
2NE1
Established Contributor

Updating Personal Info ?

I previously read somewhere on the forum (can't recall which topic) that if you update your current address to the CRAs it could cause a score drop? how does updating your personal information affect your score and credit history? I noticed that I have old addresses dating back from 1999 on my CRs. If I get these deleted, how will affect my TL history, etc? do I have to update the old CCs that are closed with good payment history of my new address?

thanks in advance! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Updating Personal Info ?

I don't see how that's possible. And FICO doesn't score demographic info anyway. I've had my current address change due to a move and there was no impact. ETA...I never contacted the CRAs, but I notified my current creditors and they updated the address info for me.

Message 2 of 9
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I agree - address change does not affect fico score.

If any old TL are still reporting (check to see if they are updating currently) and they have the old address, you can delete it, but it will come right back.

Message 3 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

In all the times I have moved....( LOTS ) ~ the CRAs each got my current address from an updated address with one of my creditors, like a CC, or installment loan.

I have never updated my address directly with the CRAs.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I also dont see a negative effect on scoring.

I do, however, see a potential positive effect.  Current address is important in that it might be needed by the CRA as a part of their process of matching information reported to them with the correct consumer file.  Usually, if more unique personal identifiers, such as SSN, are provided, file matching is fairly accurate.

However, if any reporting does not include such unique indicators, the CRA will have to use other personal indicators to match the reporting with a consumer file.

Address is one of those.

Just to simply reduce the possiblility of the nightmare in correcting improper posting of information to my credit file, I would keep the CRA, either myself, or has been stated, through your creditors, apprised of the correct current address.

Message 5 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I got flagged by Cap One on a credit application because my addresses didn't match between the three CRA's.  Kind of silly to have a manual review triggered for that honestly, and they even sent me a letter to that effect (fraud warnings, joy).

There's more upsides to having the correct current address on file than downsides, especially when it comes to any sort of underwriting... even though I suspect everyone at least tacitly agrees that CRA addresses of record are sometimes hideously random.  There may be positive upsides to also whacking your old addresses, though as others have stated it's not necessarily going to get dropped off if other lenders are reporting it.

That said, I've had multiple trade-lines report to all three bureaus with an address I've lived at for more than six years, and two of the CRA's have yet to update it automatically.  Manually updating them is on my list of things to do over the next few months... besides the fact it's often annoying to the point of impossible trying to figure out what old addresses they have on file for me vs. not whenever I have to verify my identity to one of the CRA's Smiley Happy.  I moved around way too much.

        
Message 6 of 9
amaase
New Visitor

I recently moved from the  Tri-State to the South West.  I had issues with the fact I updated my new home address.  My score fell 15 points.

I was told by Equfax my file had to be split with their third party monitor. Aparently they use a third party for TX calll CCS who monitor the Houston area-Equfax.

"this was the reason for my point falling" Makes no sense what's so ever . I did not ask them to split my file.

Message 7 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@amaase wrote:

I recently moved from the  Tri-State to the South West.  I had issues with the fact I updated my new home address.  My score fell 15 points.

I was told by Equfax my file had to be split with their third party monitor. Aparently they use a third party for TX calll CCS who monitor the Houston area-Equfax.

"this was the reason for my point falling" Makes no sense what's so ever . I did not ask them to split my file.

When your file is split, it means just that ~ some of your TLs get moved to a seperate file, and some stay in your existing file.    So it is possible that your score could drop.

Hopefully your files have been merged and your score is back to where it was.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 8 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I read amaase's post a bit differently. I couldn't speculate on the relationship or why, but CSC serves all of Equifax's customers within a specific region, especially in the SW. I took his/her word of "split" as in forcing the poster to deal with CSC vs. EQ as opposed to missing accounts. Amaase, are you missing any accounts in your CR? 12 points ins't much in the realm of score changes and can easily be caused by changes in CC util, added accounts, dropped accounts, etc. If you are missing accounts, then ditto, you have a split file. Post back if that's the case.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.