Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Util down but score did not change

tag
tbea1004
Frequent Contributor

Util down but score did not change

I have been working on getting my utilization down. My util dropped from 78% to 70% but my score has not changed. I thought maybe it would take a day but still no change. When should I see a change in my score?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Util down but score did not change

@tbea1004 wrote:
I have been working on getting my utilization down. My util dropped from 78% to 70% but my score has not changed. I thought maybe it would take a day but still no change. When should I see a change in my score?

Once everything has reported, there may or may not be a score change. It takes at least a month for everything to have reported.

When you learn of the change will depend on what type of score you are monitoring and how you are monitoring it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 11
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Most cards report the statement balance on or soon after the statement date. You can expect your report to reflect the change a few days after that. US Bank is one of the exceptions; they report on the first of the month.

Known thresholds are at 8.9%, 28.9%, 48.9%, 68.9%, and 88.9%. Not all thresholds apply to each profile, meaning that there isn't always a score change when one is crossed. In your case, you didn't cross a threshold. So if you see a score change, it may be due to another factor.

The next time you pay, aim for 67% or below. That'll bring you below the next threshold, and it'll leave you a cushion to remain below the threshold once the following month's interest is added. If you can do 47% or below, 27% or below, etc., that's even better.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tbea1004My util dropped from 78% to 70% but my score has not changed.

Since you did not cross a utilization threshold, a score change would not be expected from the above referenced drop.  Nice job chipping away at it though and your scores will go up in time as you continue to pay down your utilization.

Message 4 of 11
tbea1004
Frequent Contributor

I have paid off my US Bank card and that should drop my util about 10% to 15% more hopefully. So US Bank reports the end of the month or begining of the month, so should I see a score change after US Bank reports?
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dropping 10%-15% more would take you across the 68.9% threshold, so yes, you'd expect to see some score improvement when that happens.

Message 6 of 11
tbea1004
Frequent Contributor

Ok US Bank payment posted and util dropped down past threshold to 60%. So I went from 89% to 60% in two or three weeks and my score only went up 4 points(Experian). I was expecting at least 20 or so points. no baddies or lates. Am I missing something? Why no real change in my score?
Message 7 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@tbea1004 wrote:
Ok US Bank payment posted and util dropped down past threshold to 60%. So I went from 89% to 60% in two or three weeks and my score only went up 4 points(Experian). I was expecting at least 20 or so points. no baddies or lates. Am I missing something? Why no real change in my score?

You're watching it too closely, expecting big changes from small increments. It's a long term process.

Besides, it's not really 60% but more like 58% that ensures your crossing the threshold.

My advice is to relax and keep paying things down.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica

Besides, it's not really 60% but more like 58% that ensures your crossing the threshold.

I think by saying that he crossed a threshold in going down to 60% that he was referring to the 68.9% threshold that was crossed in coming down from the 80s.

Message 9 of 11
tbea1004
Frequent Contributor

Yes I passed the 68.9% and went all the way down to 60%. Still waiting for payment to report to TU and EQ. I guess im just gonna have to wait for a bit. I am due for a CLI with NFCU and just wanted my score to be up before I tried for the CLI. Once I get the CLI and possibly a new card it would really help my util and I can go back in the garden and get everything paid up.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.