Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VERY interesting info about FICO score points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: VERY interesting info about FICO score points

Thank you very much for the update  jello77 very useful and interesting especially as it says Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

The "Outstanding Debt" piece cannot be in dollars... It wouldn't make any sense to scale purely the dollar amount... This has got to be a ratio, for example maybe 1000 = 100% util? By that scale, $99 = 9.9%, which lines up with the "ideal" utilization reported by many...

Message 22 of 31
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

The outstanding debt is the average balance on revolving cards.. So if you had $450.00 total revolving debt and 3 cards your average is $150.00. 

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 23 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AndySoCal wrote:

The outstanding debt is the average balance on revolving cards.. So if you had $450.00 total revolving debt and 3 cards your average is $150.00. 

I agree that, on the surface, that's what it looks like. But what if you have $100,000 available CL across three cards? Is a $1000 average balance really a reason to drop your score ~50 points? My only point is that util has to be a hidden part of this (very informative) slide.

Message 24 of 31
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

If I were to carry a large balance  each month I would do so in one of two ways.  For me a large balance is 1000 or greater it may not be to others. If  were to pay in full each month I would use a charge card like AMEX.  A charge card is where the balance is due in full each month.  These cards are reported as account type open and not revolving. Or if I needed to carry a balance I would use a signature VISA that is a no pre set spending limit  these cards ususally report the same way..

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 25 of 31
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree that, on the surface, that's what it looks like. But what if you have $100,000 available CL across three cards? Is a $1000 average balance really a reason to drop your score ~50 points? My only point is that util has to be a hidden part of this (very informative) slide.

I will quote a very high ranking individual at myFICO concerning this:

Not only is that a "partial" scorecard, it's fake, and used mainly to illustrate how a scorecard works.  Do they really think we'd put the real deal out there like that? :smileyhappy:

In other words this is useless.

Message 26 of 31
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not only is that a "partial" scorecard, it's fake, and used mainly to illustrate how a scorecard works.  Do they really think we'd put the real deal out there like that? :smileyhappy:

I'm inclined to agree since according to the chart my FICO score should be impacted only 20 points by having a single 5.5 y/o PR. But when it dropped off my FICO went up 73 points.

So in that specific case, the chart was not even close.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 27 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cashnocredit wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

I'm inclined to agree since according to the chart my FICO score should be impacted only 20 points by having a single 5.5 y/o PR. But when it dropped off my FICO went up 73 points.

So in that specific case, the chart was not even close.

So we're back to square one, that this slide was purely for educational purposes... Kind of like a FAKO Smiley Happy

I'm assuming you couldn't *cough* PM me the actual *cough* formula *cough cough*

(worth a shot, right?)

Message 28 of 31
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

So we're back to square one, that this slide was purely for educational purposes... Kind of like a FAKO Smiley Happy

I'm assuming you couldn't *cough* PM me the actual *cough* formula *cough cough*

(worth a shot, right?)

I'll *cough* try and do *cough* that as soon as I can.  Smiley Wink

Message 29 of 31
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Seems reasonable to believe that charges on your card will however make it more likely that cars will raise your credit limit which is one of my credit goals besides raising my fico score.

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.