cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WTH happen...my scores dropped 17 points!

tag
frugal
New Contributor

WTH happen...my scores dropped 17 points!

Ok...I paid mostly all of my debt off last month.  Paid off one credit card, Paid off one that is less than 7% of my Debt Ratio.  I was so wicked syked...then I get an alert that my credit score dropped by 17 points.  I did a side by side comparsion from last month and the new Credit Score and I found that on my recent report: My huge collection was gone, and my Revolving Account debt ratio decreased by $610.00 because I was paying money towards them last month.     Nothing else changed in the Inquiries nor do I have anything in my Public Records.  In the past when I lowered my Debt Ratio, paid off Collections and things dropping from my accounts my points use to go up...now they are going down when I did the "right thing" IMHO.

I need some expert opinions because this has made me very upset Smiley Mad and baffled at the same time. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: WTH happen...my scores dropped 17 points!

Which report was this and where did you get your score? SW?

You mentioned that accounts dropped. Did any OC accounts drop? If so, were they older than your AAoA or one of your oldest accounts? That can certainly cause your FICO score to drop.

You paid off one CC. Was that CC listed as opened or closed?

Aside from the above, look at the pos/neg factors on pages 2 and 3 of your FICO report. Did any of those change or change in order?

Message 2 of 6
frugal
New Contributor

This was from Equifax.  I did notice the my accounts changed in order when I did a comparison of my older one verses the new report.  None of my OC accounts dropped.  My Collections is not there in my collections anymore so I don't know if  were closed or open.  I just ran my Transunion and it went up 696.  Equifax dropped to 657...my points have never dropped in 3 years...

Message 3 of 6
frugal
New Contributor

Hello ...Anyone??????

Message 4 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Were both EQ reports pulled from myFICO.com? If so, did the positive and negative items listed on pages 2 and 3 change any?

You paid off one CC. Was that CC listed as opened or closed?

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The very first thing I would do is to get a full, and free, credit report from annualcreditreport.com.

It will report to you your credit file, without the stupid formatting of most commerial CRs vended to consumers.

If a collection has dropped from your CR, that should only be a plus.

CAs are NOT accounts with you, and thus have NO impact on your average age of accounts.

You need a full and accurate CR to decypher what is going on.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.