Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was on the phone with TU and they tried to sell me their score for 30 days

tag
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

Was on the phone with TU and they tried to sell me their score for 30 days

He told me there scores are directly from TU and MyFICO scores are 3rd party..... Can someone explain please

Starting Score: 656
Current Score: 678 TU 08, 665 EQ MyFico, 698 EX PSECU
Goal Score: 7OO needed for Mortgage application

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Re: Was on the phone with TU and they tried to sell me their score for 30 days

Did they try to sell you your "FICO" score or a "FAKO" score?

As far as third party, (and someone more knowledgeable please chime in here), myFICO is run by Fair Isaac Corp, the inventors/owners/originators of FICO scoring.  They appear to be in collaboration with TU to provide the products they offer here.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not think you can purchase your FICO at TU directly anymore, I remember reading a post the other day and I think it was confirmed that a consumer can no longer go to TU website and purchase their TU FICO.

I am leaning towards TU trying to sell your their Vantage or Transrisk score, which is not a FICO, I believe I have read there are VERY few lenders who use the Vantage score, but FICO scores are still the most used scores by lenders.

IMO, it's a good thing you did not purchase the score TU was trying to sell you, it's pretty much worthless.

If you want your real FICO's (TU and EQ) buy them here at myFICO.

Side note, if you want your Vantage and Transrisk scores, just sign up with CreditKarma, it's free.

Message 3 of 13
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I do not think you can purchase your FICO at TU directly anymore, I remember reading a post the other day and I think it was confirmed that a consumer can no longer go to TU website and purchase their TU FICO. The TU website actually never sold TU FICO scores. You could get them at transunioncs.com (Note the "cs") but even that option stopped some months ago.

I am leaning towards TU trying to sell your their Vantage or Transrisk score, which is not a FICO, I believe I have read there are VERY few lenders who use the Vantage score, but FICO scores are still the most used scores by lenders. You are correct about TU selling VantageScores. The CSR was either intentionally misleading or poorly trained.

IMO, it's a good thing you did not purchase the score TU was trying to sell you, it's pretty much worthless. I agree 100%

If you want your real FICO's (TU and EQ) buy them here at myFICO.

Side note, if you want your Vantage and Transrisk scores, just sign up with CreditKarma, it's free.

Message 4 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I vote for intentional mislead.

The CSR's statement is true. MyFICO is a 3rd party. You can buy scores directly from TU. The mislead is that the score purchased directly from TU are FAKOs.

Message 5 of 13
FrugalRican
Blogger

@llecs wrote:

I vote for intentional mislead.

The CSR's statement is true. MyFICO is a 3rd party. You can buy scores directly from TU. The mislead is that the score purchased directly from TU are FAKOs.

This.

The CSR wasn't lying, but he wasn't telling the complete truth either.

You can get A score from TU, but it might not be THE score you were looking for.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 6 of 13
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

its just odd in the middle of a phone dispute, they try to sell me their product, state myfico is 3rd party... Which has been my point from the start. All this CSR is about money, power, and total BS.

I default Student loans, go thorugh Medical School and Surgical Residency, take Medicare, Medicaid and write off medical claims for underserved populations, but still can't afford the basic quality of life of a blue collar worker with no education can.

Status post Navy 4 year Tour

Starting Score: 656
Current Score: 678 TU 08, 665 EQ MyFico, 698 EX PSECU
Goal Score: 7OO needed for Mortgage application

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 13
FrugalRican
Blogger

He's just a guy, trying to do his job.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 8 of 13
Booner72
Senior Contributor

It's not odd.  Every time I call one of the CRA's they try to sell me their b.s.  It isn't a FICO so don't bother.  It's their job to push their product.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 9 of 13
marty56
Super Contributor

Their True Credit product is quite good since for $9.95 a month you get daily pulls and Vantage score for your TU  report and monthly Vantage scores and reports for all 3. 

MyFico's Score Watch is great if you want to monitor your credit report for FICO score changes and all 3 of your credit reports contain the same information. 

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.