Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Weird stuff that hurts your credit

From the article:
---

Settling debts
In the latest versions of the FICO formula, score creator Fair Isaac Corp. fixed a glitch that often penalized folks for paying old debts that had been charged off and sent to collection agencies. (See "When paying old bills can hurt your credit.")

---

Really?
Message 2 of 12
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

In the latest versions of the FICO formula, score creator Fair Isaac Corp. fixed a glitch that often penalized folks for paying old debts that had been charged off and sent to collection agencies. (See "When paying old bills can hurt your credit.")

I wonder what score-reducing "glitch" they replaced it with  Smiley Sad

Message Edited by MidnightVoice on 05-18-2007 01:55 PM
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 12
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

mattwarner wrote:
From the article:
---

Settling debts

---

Really?

I believe so.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I correctly understand this to mean that paying a collection agency will not hurt my score because of the recent activity?
Message 5 of 12
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

mattwarner wrote:
Do I correctly understand this to mean that paying a collection agency will not hurt my score because of the recent activity?

I am trying to confirm this. Stay tuned...
Message 6 of 12
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

mattwarner wrote:

CONFIRMED. Paying a collection should no longer harm your score. I still wonder what positive impact it has (if any). As always, you still want to get a PFD whenever possible.

Hopefully those of you who have paid recently without a PFD can share the affects it had on your score(s).

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that's great news. However, the question remains...how negatively did the paid collection affect your score in the first place?  Logically, if the collection [paid or unpaid] hurt your score, then it would seem if you pay it that it should only increase your score.  Right?  Maybe they'll consider getting the glitch out for paid charge offs??  That would be key and we could all be in the 800 club thenSmiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't expect them to completely erase the effects of a charge-off just because it's paid, but to get some kind of benefit would be logical and fair. Maybe a 50% reduction in the negative effect the CO has?
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I honestly don't expect there to be a change at all, although it would be nice.  We should try to keep track though, just in case.  I have an account listed as a charge off now.  It is for a very small amount, so I'll start the test and go ahead and pay it and see if it has any postive effect on the score.  I'll keep everyone posted.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.