Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What AAoA would be considered "Fair" versus "Poor"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What AAoA would be considered "Fair" versus "Poor"

Currently rebuilding my credit. I've gotten my scores up to the 700 range, however my AAoA is currently sitting at 8 months. 

I know 8 months is considered "Poor" according to CK. But what would I need my AAoA to be to be considered "Fair" or even "Good"? 

And I just got approved for the Amex Delta Gold card, so I imagine that my AAoA will drop down to 4 months once that card shows up on my report :/

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What AAoA would be considered "Fair" versus "Poor"

@Anonymous wrote:

Currently rebuilding my credit. I've gotten my scores up to the 700 range, however my AAoA is currently sitting at 8 months. 

I know 8 months is considered "Poor" according to CK. But what would I need my AAoA to be to be considered "Fair" or even "Good"? 

And I just got approved for the Amex Delta Gold card, so I imagine that my AAoA will drop down to 4 months once that card shows up on my report :/

The first bump in AAoA for fico appears to be at 1 year (From other threads posted here).  So until you hit the 1 year mark I would say you should consider it poor status, maybe even until after 2 years.  All you can do to build AAoA is wait.  Remember age is only 15% of your overall score. 

Message 2 of 18
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I've never been too certain on when the age is considered good. I know mine right now is 3.8, and is still too new or young when looking at credit sites that I use.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The first bump in AAoA for fico appears to be at 1 year (From other threads posted here).  So until you hit the 1 year mark I would say you should consider it poor status, maybe even until after 2 years.  All you can do to build AAoA is wait.  Remember age is only 15% of your overall score. 

Where have you seen that?

Historically it's been stated as 2 years and rounded down to the lowest year with a minimum value of 1 year effectively.  This is somewhat illustration as it's hard to tease out AAOA changes without careful testing: didn't see a change at 1 on my profile, did get a change on 2 (worth 4 points on my file EQ 8) and saw nothing at 3 on any score version..

Sort of for illustration;

>2 years = fair

>~5 years = good

Maybe greater than 8 years = excellent, hard to say but you can hit an 850 with that, not sure you can at 5 years.

        
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Historically it's been stated as 2 years and rounded down to the lowest year with a minimum value of 1 year effectively.  This is somewhat illustration as it's hard to tease out AAOA changes without careful testing: didn't see a change at 1 on my profile, did get a change on 2 (worth 4 points on my file EQ 8) and saw nothing at 3 on any score version..

>2 years = fair

>~5 years = good

Maybe greater than 8 years = excellent, hard to say but you can hit an 850 with that, not sure you can at 5 years.

Numerous posters have stated that a score increase was realized at  the 1 year mark, 2 year mark, 3 year mark.  Where when they droped below, or crossed the threshold they recieved a score drop or increase accordingly.  Now, we don't truely know that AAoA was the only factor for those bumbs, decreases, but it is just speculation either way.  

Message 5 of 18
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

I believe 2 years is the category threshold for both CK and Fico for  AAooA and AAoA, respectively. I couldn't find a category summary specific to AAoA for Fico but my guess is:

Poor = ............0 - 2 years

Fair = ..............2 - 3 years

Good = ...........3 - 5 years

Very Good =...5 - 8 years

Excellent =......8 years and above

CK age of credit.jpg

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 6 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

>2 years = fair

>~5 years = good

Numerous posters have stated that a score increase was realized at  the 1 year mark, 2 year mark, 3 year mark.  Where when they droped below, or crossed the threshold they recieved a score drop or increase accordingly.  Now, we don't truely know that AAoA was the only factor for those bumbs, decreases, but it is just speculation either way.  

It can be tested: go above the mark, app spree below it (since at least on my file a new tradeline is never a penalty unless it breaks an AAOA boundary) and then age back across it.  Hold balances fixed, and if no inquiries age off and you don't have anything like oldest tradeline or negative aging across a boundary it can be isolated.

Then again my file is effectively flatlined as a result of my tax lien so it's easier for me to get a controlled datapoint.

Anyway I guess I missed the threads, I'm a little skeptical of reports in other boards here personally as the majority of datapoints are nowhere close to controlled.  Doesn't matter anyway, longer is better, and it's that simple for AAOA.  If they got boosts at 1 year, jolly, 2 year was a breakpoint for me by the above testing strategy, 3 year was not by similar test procedures and 1B pulls before and after at least for that 3 year datapoint.

        
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like most of the point gains realized from crossing thresholds on AAoA can be counted on ONE hand... which, to me, makes them quite insignificant.

Message 8 of 18
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

>2 years = fair

>~5 years = good

It can be tested: go above the mark, app spree below it (since at least on my file a new tradeline is never a penalty unless it breaks an AAOA boundary) and then age back across it.  Hold balances fixed, and if no inquiries age off and you don't have anything like oldest tradeline or negative aging across a boundary it can be isolated.

Then again my file is effectively flatlined as a result of my tax lien so it's easier for me to get a controlled datapoint.

Anyway I guess I missed the threads, I'm a little skeptical of reports in other boards here personally as the majority of datapoints are nowhere close to controlled.  Doesn't matter anyway, longer is better, and it's that simple for AAOA.  If they got boosts at 1 year, jolly, 2 year was a breakpoint for me by the above testing strategy, 3 year was not by similar test procedures and 1B pulls before and after at least for that 3 year datapoint.

Interesting and useful testing suggestion Rev.

Am currently in the middle of trying to pinpoint where another potential delay will affect my own AAOA/AAOoA profiles before finally sitting things out within about 5-6 months before busting a fresh new boundary.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try to find an older person (Mom, Dad, Uncle, Aunt, Cousin.... 70 year old neighbor lady down the street) and ask them to add you to their oldest credit card as an authorized user. Explain to them that you don't even want the physical card. They can hold on to it and sock drawer it. Therefore, you won't be able to "rack up" their bill spontaneously. I made this same deal with my Mom on a 18 year old Citi card she had and it boosted my AAoA considerably. It also lowered my utilization because it has a 10k limit and she keeps a really low, or zero balance on it. 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.