Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is effect of closing account?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

What is effect of closing account?

Now that Cap One is making it as easy as pie to merge one account into another, one question I have is what effect will the closing of the merged account have on my score?

In my case, e.g., I would be merging a 1 year old account into a 3 year old account. The 1 year old account would be closed.

How would this transaction be interpreted by the FICO algorithm monster?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is effect of closing account?

You'll be fine in your situation.  

I think the general forum recommendation would recommend against it if:

1) You were closing an account and are carrying a balance on the one that will remain open.  Meaning utilization will increase.  Or

2) You're closing the older line of credit for a newer line of credit.  Meaning less credit experience

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello SJ!  Always good to see you on here.

This looks like another one of your posts where I learn something new.  I didn't know there was such a thing as "merging", though I am not surprised.  I can certainly answer the "FICO monster" question as long as I am sure I understand what merging in this case means for the credit bueaus.

If I understand you right, it means that Cap 1 will be transfering the balance from the 1-year account onto the 3-year account.  And then they will update your 1- year account with the status "closed" (with a date closed as of the day that the merge occured).  But the act of merging doesn't result in your 1-year account being deleted from the three CRAs -- just closed.  Your 3-year account will have the same credit limit as it did before the merge.  Is that all correct?

If I got all that right (there were several assumptions) then it's easy to figure out what FICO will do.  You will have a new total credit limit -- whatever your previous limit was minus the CL of the closed card.  That will have a small effect on your total U, easy for you to figure that out.  Your AAoA will not change in any way, since the closed account is still on your reports and will continue to age.  10 years from now the closed account will fall off your reports, having a small effect on your AAoA.

As you can see, the key question is not What Will FICO Do (there should be a tshirt for that), but what will the CRA do?  The key questions are (1) whether the 1-year account is deleted from the report or simply closed and (2) whether the 3-year account still has the same CL as it did before.  I don't know how Cap 1 works with that.  But once you know the answers to the CRA question, then you can answer the FICO question.

Message 3 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello SJ!  Always good to see you on here.

This looks like another one of your posts where I learn something new.  I didn't know there was such a thing as "merging", though I am not surprised.

It's a new thing on the Capital One website

I can certainly answer the "FICO monster" question as long as I am sure I understand what merging in this case means for the credit bueaus.

If I understand you right, it means that Cap 1 will be transfering the balance from the 1-year account onto the 3-year account.  And then they will update your 1- year account with the status "closed" (with a date closed as of the day that the merge occured). 

I believe that's correct. Here's what Cap One says: "The account will be closed with a $0 balance and will be reported to the credit bureaus as closed within
30 days. This account will also be reported as paid in full after the first statement balance with a $0
balance and no pending transactions."

But the act of merging doesn't result in your 1-year account being deleted from the three CRAs -- just closed.  Your 3-year account will have the same credit limit as it did before the merge.

No, the surviving account will pick up the credit limit from the closed account.

Is that all correct?

If I got all that right (there were several assumptions) then it's easy to figure out what FICO will do.  You will have a new total credit limit -- whatever your previous limit was minus the CL of the closed card. 

No, the total credit limit will be the same; will just be under one card instead of two.

That will have a small effect on your total U, easy for you to figure that out.  Your AAoA will not change in any way, since the closed account is still on your reports and will continue to age.  10 years from now the closed account will fall off your reports, having a small effect on your AAoA.

As you can see, the key question is not What Will FICO Do (there should be a tshirt for that), but what will the CRA do?  The key questions are (1) whether the 1-year account is deleted from the report or simply closed and (2) whether the 3-year account still has the same CL as it did before.  I don't know how Cap 1 works with that.  But once you know the answers to the CRA question, then you can answer the FICO question.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice.  Then, as you can see, there will be no change to your total credit limit and therefore no change to your utilization.  The only change will be when, in ten years, that closed account falls off, which will have a very small impact to your AAoA.

So no imapct on your FICO for a long time.

Message 5 of 6
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

If you gain a new limit of $10,000 or more, that will be a positive for FICO score purposes.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.