Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the "real" mortgage score..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the "real" mortgage score..

Please enlighten me... I am subscribed to all 3 bureaus on here. When I open it it and see all my scores at the top, they all show me to have #'s in the "Very Good" credit ratings. When you click on say Equifax and scroll down, you see the same "overall" credit score you see when signing on and it shows "FICO Score 8".

Just below this section comes "COMMONLY USED IN MORTGAGE LENDING" heading and under that it shows a number for "FICO Score 5". This number is quite a bit lower than the overall number. In fact it drops me from "Very Good" to "Good" in Equifax. In the TransUnion and Experian versions, it drops my scores down to "Fair" credit ratings! Yet the 'Auto Lenders' and 'Credit Card Lenders' are the same "Very Good" ratings and higher credit score numbers. Then comes the "Newly Released Version" and those numbers are higher still. 

The Mortgage scores are the only ones that drop. I am getting ready to refi. I contacted my present lender as well as the new lender. How do I know which figure they are looking at? I haven't submitted my packet to either just yet. I want to understand so I know better what interest rate I should be realistically looking at. I keep getting emails about the 2.17% but am being told 2's and upper 2's to lower 3's. I am not talking about buying down rates with points either. I would appreciate straightforward information. Neither lender I spoke with had a clue as to what I was talking about regarding the credit score numbers or credit report versions. I actually pulled up this sight to show my banker when discussing it with him. He was as lost as I am! Not what I was hoping to hear.

Please help me understand! 

Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: What is the "real" mortgage score..

@Anonymous wrote:

Please enlighten me... I am subscribed to all 3 bureaus on here. When I open it it and see all my scores at the top, they all show me to have #'s in the "Very Good" credit ratings. When you click on say Equifax and scroll down, you see the same "overall" credit score you see when signing on and it shows "FICO Score 8".

Just below this section comes "COMMONLY USED IN MORTGAGE LENDING" heading and under that it shows a number for "FICO Score 5". This number is quite a bit lower than the overall number. In fact it drops me from "Very Good" to "Good" in Equifax. In the TransUnion and Experian versions, it drops my scores down to "Fair" credit ratings! Yet the 'Auto Lenders' and 'Credit Card Lenders' are the same "Very Good" ratings and higher credit score numbers. Then comes the "Newly Released Version" and those numbers are higher still. 

The Mortgage scores are the only ones that drop. I am getting ready to refi. I contacted my present lender as well as the new lender. How do I know which figure they are looking at? I haven't submitted my packet to either just yet. I want to understand so I know better what interest rate I should be realistically looking at. I keep getting emails about the 2.17% but am being told 2's and upper 2's to lower 3's. I am not talking about buying down rates with points either. I would appreciate straightforward information. Neither lender I spoke with had a clue as to what I was talking about regarding the credit score numbers or credit report versions. I actually pulled up this sight to show my banker when discussing it with him. He was as lost as I am! Not what I was hoping to hear.

Thank you!

Sorry, those 3 are the real mortgage scores.

EQ 5, TU 4, and EX 2.

The lenders typically go by the middle score of the 3.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 12
flexin222
Regular Contributor

Great post BG, and I truly believe they go with the lower of scores. I applied a few months ago and although my numbers were up the mortage company used Fico Score 4 and low balled it at that. At that time my Trans Fico was 774 and I was told it their number was 735! I was pissed that they were trying to bump up a higher interest rate. I was quoted 3.35% and I feel that when I'm really ready to pull the trigger I'm gonna have to comparison shop to get the best rate. 

In my research you have 15 to a few weeks if I remember to comparison shop without hard credit pulls. Get the best rate you can get and watch out for them greedy bastids.

Message 3 of 12
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@flexin222 wrote:

Great post BG, and I truly believe they go with the lower of scores. I applied a few months ago and although my numbers were up the mortage company used Fico Score 4 and low balled it at that. At that time my Trans Fico was 774 and I was told it their number was 735! I was pissed that they were trying to bump up a higher interest rate. I was quoted 3.35% and I feel that when I'm really ready to pull the trigger I'm gonna have to comparison shop to get the best rate. 

In my research you have 15 to a few weeks if I remember to comparison shop without hard credit pulls. Get the best rate you can get and watch out for them greedy bastids.

They use the middle 2/4/5 mortgage score, not the lowest.  If it's FHA or if the lender wants to be able to sell the loan on to Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae, they can't do otherwise.

Message 4 of 12
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you!

There are quite a few differences between the “mortgage Fico” algorithms (Fico 04/Fico 98) and Fico 8 or Fico 9 (the "newly released version"). The scores commonly referred to as "mortgage Ficos" are EQ score 5, TU score 4 and EX score 2. These are the 3 scores loan officers look at when evaluating applicants for mortgages. Ultimately they assess risk and loan interest rate based on the MIDDLE "mortgage" score. The Industry Enhanced versions are sometimes considered when applying for credit related to Auto loans or bankcards.

EQ score 5 and TU score 4 are based on an older Fico 04 model. EX score 2 is based on an even older Fico 98 model. Here are a few differences to be aware of among the Fico scoring models:

1) Fico 8 gives bonus points for an open installment loan. Fico 04 & Fico 98 do not.

2) Fico 04 & Fico 98 always considers AU accounts in the algorithm. They are conditional in Fico8/Fico 9. AU accounts often don’t factor into revolving utilization or # of accounts with balances on Fico8/Fico9.

3) Fico 04 & Fico 98 are less forgiving to an increased # of cards reporting balances than is Fico 8. Equifax score 5 is particularly sensitive to # accounts/cards reporting balances.

4) Upper score is limited to 818 on EQ Fico 04 (score 5), 839 on TU Fico 04 (score 4) and 844 on EX Fico 98 (score 2). A score of 850 is achievable on all EQ/TU/EX Fico 8.

5) High aggregate CC utilization may be weighed more heavily in Fico 8 than it is in Fico 04/98. Conversely, individual card UT may be weighed more heavily in Fico 04 and Fico 98 than it is in Fico 8. [Clarification - regardless of the model Aggregate UT% carries more weight than individual card utilization]

6) Fico 04 and Fico 98 models have 10 scorecards whereas Fico 8 has 12 scorecards. The additional 2 in Fico 8 are used to further subdivide dirty files. That likely impacts how baddies are treated. It appears that minor baddies treated less harshly in Fico 8 but, severe derogs treated more harshly.

7) Lack of an open loan hurts Fico 8 score but has little, if any impact on Fico 04/98.

8) Lack of an open revolving account hurts Fico 8 score a lot. Presence of revolving credit accounts less important on Fico 04/98.

9) Under $100 collections discounted in Fico 8 but not in Fico 04 or Fico 98. Medical collections are treated differently from other collections in Fico 8 (reduced impact on score).

Side notes:

1. Paid collections do not adversely affect score on Fico 9 regardless of amount. However, paid collections will hurt Fico 8 score if over $100 and Fico04/Fico98 scores regardless of amount.
  2. Fico 9 more sensitive to high levels of revolving utilization than Fico 8.
Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Neither lender I spoke with had a clue as to what I was talking about regarding the credit score numbers or credit report versions. I actually pulled up this sight to show my banker when discussing it with him. He was as lost as I am!

I find it disturbing that multiple lenders don't know what 3 Fico scores (mortgage scores) they use.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know they do use the middle scores, I just didn't know if it was the middles from the CR #8 for all of them or the 5, 4, and 2's. Definitley looks like the latter. Thanks for chiming in for me!

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow.     WOW!!        I really appreciate all the great info! I have a couple glitches on my report thanks to an insurance company not paying a claim. It just popped up on there 8 days ago.   Smiley Sad  I did contact the agent, again!, and let him know it had better get paid and removed from my CR assuring no liability on me as it is100% their negligence ( which he is completely aware of) and I want a copy directly to me for proof as well. He too was shocked it still was not paid. The second problem, I took a hit as a retail company went out of business and cancelled all their cards. I didn't think it should hurt me too much being a retail card, and never using it anyhow. It did, but it is bouncing back up. I have 10 CC's total (now 9, 5 retails), all seasoned but 1 and total a $55k limit. Keeping UT ratio between 2-6% depending when it cycles. I always pay them off every month and basically only use 4 for their rewards.  And the 3rd is a 22 month old 30 day late on a mort payment, which I do disagree with. Grrrr... Have been over it with them a few times just because of the principle. They are no help. Maybe I'll send a letter...  Regardless, I don't consider myself in too bad of shape but nevertheless, I still wanna reach those 800's. I should still get a great rate though. My ultimate goal however is debt free and my mark is just 5 more years away!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.