cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s hurting your FICO® score : I'm starting to think this entire thing is broken

tag
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

What’s hurting your FICO® score : I'm starting to think this entire thing is broken

Loosing faith rapidly ....between the missed SW for dropping a collection on my report and the lack of mod responses on particular questions such as DoFD and general misunderstanding of this term in the community and no difinitive answers by anyone of autority.

Now this: The negative factors listed here are reasons why your FICO® score is not higher. You should focus on changing the behavior that caused these negative factors. These factors are listed in order of their impact to your score, the first has the greatest negative impact and the last has the least. You have a short credit history. Your oldest account was opened 22 Years, 5 Months ago FICO High Achievers [?] opened their oldest account 19 years ago, on average. Average age of your accounts 11 years Most FICO High Achievers [?] have an average age of accounts between 6 and 12 years.

Starting Score: 656
Current Score: 678 TU 08, 665 EQ MyFico, 698 EX PSECU
Goal Score: 7OO needed for Mortgage application

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What’s hurting your FICO® score : I'm starting to think this entire thing is broken

Based on your scoring bucket, your length of history and AAoA is younger than most. Ding? Slight at worst.

Is this in the #3 or #4 slot?

Message 2 of 18
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

Re: What’s hurting your FICO® score : I'm starting to think this entire thing is broken

Position #4 Contradicting statements IMHO on two sections... .... AAoA at 11 years hurts my credit ??????(high achieves 6-12) this was on the positive side 2 weeks ago on last pull....which is why I say this is broken

@llecs wrote:

Based on your scoring bucket, your length of history and AAoA is younger than most. Ding? Slight at worst.

myFICO provides your FICO® score and credit report as generated and reported by one of the three major credit bureaus. Below are factors in your credit report that are hurting or helping your score: FICO® score ingredients How you rate Payment history Your history of paying bills on time. Not Good Amount of debt Your total amount of outstanding debt. Very Good Length of credit history How long you've had credit. Very Good Amount of new credit Amount of credit you've recently obtained or applied for. Not Good ...........this is from the SAME pull that says my short history is hurting my score

Message 3 of 18
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

Pulled 3/1 What’s helping your FICO® score The positive factors listed here reflect areas of your credit behavior that are helping your FICO® score. You should continue the good practices listed here. These factors are listed in order of their impact to your score – the first has the greatest positive impact and the last has the least. You have an established credit history. Your oldest account was opened 22 Years, 5 Months ago FICO High Achievers [?] opened their oldest account 19 years ago, on average. Average age of your accounts 11 years Most FICO High Achievers [?] have an average age of accounts between 6 and 12 years.

Message 4 of 18
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

Not to mention on pull from 3/1 in slot #1 I had a collection..... On 3/19 pull NO collection and a whopping 5 point score increase, which included dropping my utilization from %90 to %1

Message 5 of 18
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, what changed on your reports since the last pull? Did anything drop? Did anything move into that #1 or #2 slot that wasn't there before?

The 6-12 years is an average of the AAoA of anyone with a high score (I think it's 760+). It's just a guide. It doesn't mean you'd be a high achiever if you hit that AAoA (and you have). Other things can be weighing down like baddies, PRs, new credit, etc.

@Student_Loans_Kill wrote:
Not to mention on pull from 3/1 in slot #1 I had a collection..... On 3/19 pull NO collection and a whopping 5 point score increase, which included dropping my utilization from %90 to %1

And if no collection is appearing at #1, then that can be a sign of re-bucketing which would explain the scramble of pos/negs. I'm guessing the collection was a CA, right (hence AAoA didn't waiver)? Are you CA- or baddie-free?

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Position #4 Contradicting statements IMHO on two sections... .... AAoA at 11 years hurts my credit ??????(high achieves 6-12) this was on the positive side 2 weeks ago on last pull....which is why I say this is broken

@llecs wrote:

myFICO provides your FICO® score and credit report as generated and reported by one of the three major credit bureaus. Below are factors in your credit report that are hurting or helping your score: FICO® score ingredients How you rate Payment history Your history of paying bills on time. Not Good Amount of debt Your total amount of outstanding debt. Very Good Length of credit history How long you've had credit. Very Good Amount of new credit Amount of credit you've recently obtained or applied for. Not Good ...........this is from the SAME pull that says my short history is hurting my score

It doesn't say here that your length of accounts or your AAoA is the problem.  It says your history of paying on time and the amount of new credit you have recently obtained or applied for aren't good.  IMHO this is what is hurting your CR more than anything else.  

Message 7 of 18
FrugalRican
Blogger

AAoA at 11 years hurts my credit ??????(high achieves 6-12) 

Length of credit history How long you've had credit. Very Good

Don't see how the AAOA is hurting you're credit.

It says "Very Good".

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 8 of 18
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I think OP is listing two different things: the 4 items on the first page of the report that show bad to great, and the second being the pos/neg items listed on the next two pages. It those pos/neg items that hurt/help your FICO. Slightly related, but the score impact is greater when the negative reason codes are removed. It lists them in order. OP is concerned about the #3 slot in that his/her AAoA matches the average overall (the 6-12 yrs) but is ranked as a baddie.

Message 9 of 18
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

Report: 03/15/2012

@Anonymous wrote:

@llecs wrote:

It doesn't say here that your length of accounts or your AAoA is the problem.  It says your history of paying on time and the amount of new credit you have recently obtained or applied for aren't good.  IMHO this is what is hurting your CR more than anything else.  

03/15/2012 All from the same pull... Conflicting statements.  On FICO Score Summary "Length of credit history=VERY GOOD"  On Understanding your Score  "Hurting your score You have a short credit history. "

Your oldest account was opened 22 Years, 5 Months ago Average age of your accounts 11 years

FICO High Achievers [?]opened their oldest account 19 years ago, on average.
Most FICO High Achievers [?]have an average age of accounts between 6 and 12 years.

I'm not sure why I can't explain this.... One section says Account history is VERY GOOD (which is exactly what 3/1 report said in both sections) the other section says I have crappy account history.... Which doesn't even make sense, because AoAA is 11 years and oldeest account is 22 years 5 months.... 

score ingredientsFICO® score ingredients

How you ratePayment historyYour history of paying bills on time.Not GoodFICO®

Amount of debtYour total amount of outstanding debt.

Very Good

Length of credit historyHow long you've had credit.

Very Good

Amount of new creditAmount of credit you've recently obtained or applied for.

Not Good
Understanding Your FICO® Score

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.