cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the point of a SOFT PULL if..........

tag

What's the point of a SOFT PULL if..........

....they cant grant a CLI?

Every 3 months, I have CC companies doing a SOFT PULL on my reports.  Yet, if I requsst a CLI, Im told they need to do a HARD PULL.

So what information do they gather in a SOFT PULL?  And, if it doesnt give them a recent snapshot of my credit profile, then WHY PRAY TELL do it?????

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: What's the point of a SOFT PULL if..........

A soft inquiry from an existing creditor for AR (Account Review) sees everything except other soft inquiries. That information is scorable.

A soft inquiry for promotional purposes is different. They don't normally look at a report. They simply pay the CRA to give them a file with names and addresses of potential customers that meet their set of requirements. It may have some additional info.

Message 2 of 7

That makes no sense.  If they do a SOFT PULL (Under AR), then why cant they use that for a CLI?

Thats my point?  Why "review" my file?

Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Technically they can.  It would be their choice for a HP.

Some use a SP,  some a HP.

There are different codes for HP and if they actually extend credit, such as a CLI, they are probably using that code.

Message 4 of 7
bradlin
Established Member

This is why:

"Hello, we need to let all of our banker buddies know that you requested more credit from us." 

Message 5 of 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

A  hard pull is for the pursuit of new credit like a CLI and soft pull is for credit pulls that are for the pursuit of new credit like an account review or a consumer pulling their own credit report.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 6 of 7
buildafico
Frequent Contributor

maybe they're not viewing reports for CLIs, maybe they're reviewing for changes. Especially new customers.

some textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome text>some text
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.