Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the threshold score for the best rates and offers

tag
belle6m2k
Regular Contributor

What's the threshold score for the best rates and offers

I'm curious as to what scores will get you the best interest rates or card offers. I'm finishing a rebuild and my scores are sitting at 742, 749, and 723. My lowest is TU and I think it is because I have 5 inquires. My my credit age is about 6 years with my oldest card at 12 years. I have one car loan and all accounts are currently in good standing. I do have 4  30 day lates which will hit 2 years next month. I just paid all accounts to 0 except one which is at about 3% util. I am waiting for my last few accounts to report the 0 especially the remaining one that was at 78%. Im going to garden for the time being.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: What's the threshold score for the best rates and offers

@belle6m2k wrote:

I'm curious as to what scores will get you the best interest rates or card offers. I'm finishing a rebuild and my scores are sitting at 742, 749, and 723. My lowest is TU and I think it is because I have 5 inquires. My my credit age is about 6 years with my oldest card at 12 years. I have one car loan and all accounts are currently in good standing. I do have 4  30 day lates which will hit 2 years next month. I just paid all accounts to 0 except one which is at about 3% util. I am waiting for my last few accounts to report the 0 especially the remaining one that was at 78%. Im going to garden for the time being.

1. The general wisdom is that 760 will get you everything a FICO score can get you.

2. The FICO scores aren't the only thing they look at; I was turned down for a credit union credit card with an 829, because they felt I had acquired too many new accounts.

3. You can send verification letters to the bureaus, to try and accelerate removal of the lates.

4. Be sure at least one of your cards reports some small balance, because there is a penalty in some scoring models for all zeros.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 4
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

Anything above 760 will give you good results, but like others have said score isnt everything. I've opened 2 cards at 760+ and got almost the worst APR they offer. Your file appears thicker than mine so you would normally have better results than I did, except the 4x lates. Those 4x recent lates will hurt your APR and SL's because you will look risky. If possible try goodwill letters to the accounts you have lates on, if you are current now they might maybe goodwill them off. If all 4x are the same company you might be stuck with them
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

As others have stated, aim for anything above 760. Ideally, 780 because you can pretty much have all the same benefits as someone with 800 scores. The only difference is bragging rights.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.