Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do about bad credit

tag
Zeryl
Established Member

What to do about bad credit

I checked my CR today, and have 570+ on all three, with the highest number being 592.

I have one charge I have not paid off (plan on doing that in the next week).

I have two old CC's that went to collections, and paid off 2+ yrs ago. I have a bally's loan out (never late 2.5 years), and my two student loans (combined 3200), which have never been late (4 years now).

I know my credit is quite low for a normal CC, but I'd like to stay away from a secured card as I don't really want my money tied up like that.

Anyone have any advice to help bring my score up into the mid 600's?

Thanks,
Z
Equifax - 680
TU - 641
Experian - 689
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: What to do about bad credit

Zeryl wrote:
Anyone have any advice to help bring my score up into the mid 600's?

Read the entire message board?  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 9
Zeryl
Established Member

Aye, I've been doing that. Just hoping for some advice for my situation. Any advice on a CC that I could get to assist that isn't secured, with regards to my CR? I'm not looking for anything big, just a couple hundred dollars.
Equifax - 680
TU - 641
Experian - 689
Message 3 of 9
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome... I suspect you have not read the entire forum yet. Smiley Tongue How about starting with the Scoring 101 thread? Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try to GW the paid collections.

How old is the unpaid charge off? If it's too old to report, dispute it off. [Read Scoring 101 to know how old is too old]. Otherwise, PFD.
Message 5 of 9
MercyMe
Frequent Contributor

You might try Orchard Bank.  They're pretty lenient -- and less expensive than say, First Premier.  You also stand a better chance of CLI with Orchard, than you would with First Premier.  Also, though I stand a bit baffled about this one, you might try Washington Mutual.  My husband received a Wamu ESPN, recently, with  a $2000 limit and scores under 600.  His highest, I believe, was 592.  His lowest 548.  He has 2 collections on his reports and a couple of late pay accounts.  He likes to charge up stuff and then not pay -- please don't do this!!!  Use the card to build a sound payment history.  That is key! This is the third time I've been hardpressed to get his credit cleaned up. 

Also,  don't pay your charge off without an attempt at a PFD.  My own experience with a charge off has been a nightmare!  If only I knew then,  when I paid it, all that I know now, thanks to so many in this forum. 

Heed the wise advice in here -- should you get a card.  Keep the balance low -- between 1-9%.  Pay particular attention to Tuscani and Noah_Bodie's posts on this.  I wish you well!

:-mercy

Message Edited by MercyMe on 06-23-2007 07:23 AM
Message 6 of 9
Zeryl
Established Member

Thank you for the information. I'm gonna take some more time, learn all the abbreviations that I don't know from the last 2 days reading, and try to come up with a plan. Looks like the one open collection left on my account, was opened on 12/1/2004 (Calvary). Amazing since it should have been about two years previous that it hit, but I guess Sprint held on to it for 2 years before selling it. I do wish I had known about PFD when I paid off two collections back in early 2004, would have been much better than paying them, and them still being on my report Smiley Sad
Equifax - 680
TU - 641
Experian - 689
Message 7 of 9
MercyMe
Frequent Contributor

You can still try writing goodwill letters to those you previously paid.  They may delete them.  GW is goodwill.  PFD is pay for delete.  CLI is credit limit increase.  I know.  It can be confusing.  But you'll catch on quickly!  I promise.  Hey!  Look at me!  I'm GWing and PFDing all over the place and I'm still new here, too!
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

best thing to do is come up with a plan, like you said you are going to do.  if i had known a year ago what i have learned in the past few weeks, my scores would be rockin' right now.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.