cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is a file considered mature and thick?

tag
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: When is a file considered mature and thick?

@FreedomHammer wrote:

I do not have any old revolvers that are not charge offs. My oldest revolver was opened in Feb 2020, card #2 opened November 2020, and third card opened last month. Those are my only revolvers. And tons of closed student loans, as I mentioned. 

What were the opening dates of your charged off revolvers?

Message 21 of 33
FreedomHammer
Regular Contributor

Opening date of charge off revolvers was approximately August 2014. 

Message 22 of 33
FreedomHammer
Regular Contributor

Also one revolver from September 2012, a charge off. 

Message 23 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FreedomHammer When do you expect your file to go completely clean

Message 24 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FreedomHammer OK your oldest Revolver is 7 or 9 years old. When you switch to a clean scorecard, your oldest Revolver will be 15 months?

I'm not sure because your first post you said your youngest Revolver is 15 months and a couple posts ago you said your oldest Revolver is 15 months (excluding the chargedoff revolver) please clarify. For now I will assume your oldest Revolver is 15 months.  

either way you will be going to a thick/mature Scorecard because your oldest account (loans) > 36 months. Your oldest Revolver will be say roughly 20 months then? So you will have a lower Score than had you: 1. had a Revolver closer to the age of your oldest Account or 2. not had the older Loans, so that your oldest revolver was closer to the age of your oldest account. 

Version 8 rewards young scorecard profiles highly when the oldest Revolver is between 2 and 3 years. At 3 years, the profile is reassigned to a mature card and the step-gains for oldest Revolver begin again.

So for most, it's like starting at the bottom of a ladder again, when they have a 3 year old revolver as their oldest Account. 

unfortunately for you, your score will be lower than it could've been because your oldest revolver will be less than 2 years old on a Mature scorecard. With that said, you can still have a great score, so don't sweat it but I'm speaking academically for your understanding as well as others. So you'll want to optimize, but at least from the start you will understand why your score may be lower than others that appear to have similar profiles. 

are the chargeoffs paid or unpaid? If they are unpaid, are they reporting regularly? I ask this to determine how severe your penalty may be now. If it's a paid Chargeoff, the penalty is less than it would be if it were unpaid, which is less than if it were unpaid and reporting regularly. 

Message 25 of 33
FreedomHammer
Regular Contributor

Sorry for the confusion. My oldest credit card is a secured one (does that matter?) and when my reports are clean and I move to that clean scorecard, my oldest (secured) revolver will be about 20 months. My newest revolver will be about seven months at that time. 

I do have multiple unpaid charge offs that are still reporting balances.  That's why my EQ and EX scores are garbage.

I managed to use early exclusion to remove most of the derogatories early with TU. TU has one unpaid charge off remaining, with a balance, two inquiries, and three new accounts in the last two years. My FICO8 on TU with all of the previous mentioned is 718. 

Edited to add:

Once my oldest revolver is more than 2 years old on this new mature scorecard, will I see step improvements? 

Message 26 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FreedomHammer wrote:

Sorry for the confusion. My oldest credit card is a secured one (does that matter?) and when my reports are clean and I move to that clean scorecard, my oldest (secured) revolver will be about 20 months. My newest revolver will be about seven months at that time. 

I do have multiple unpaid charge offs that are still reporting balances.  That's why my EQ and EX scores are garbage.

I managed to use early exclusion to remove most of the derogatories early with TU. TU has one unpaid charge off remaining, with a balance, two inquiries, and three new accounts in the last two years. My FICO8 on TU with all of the previous mentioned is 718. 

Edited to add:

Once my oldest revolver is more than 2 years old on this new mature scorecard, will I see step improvements? 

@FreedomHammer The algorithm doesn't care if a loan or a credit card is secured or unsecured, it treats them the same. 

OK you should go to a clean/thick/mature/new revolver Scorecard. When your youngest Revolver hits 12 months, you will change to a no new revolver Scorecard and gain a few points, assuming you don't open any more revolvers before then. 

OK so your COs are unpaid with Balances. This is the one situation where that might turn out to be good. LOL. Let me explain my comment. Your score is lower than it would be had that been a paid chargeoff. So when it's gone, you've got further to go up, effectively. understand?

TU may be the one where you get the least, since it only has one unpaid chargeoff in comparison to the others. But that prediction might not be correct because of other factors in your profile, but considering that point alone would have that effect.

Likewise, your score will be lower on all bureaus than it would've been had your youngest Revolver been 12 months of age upon reassignment, but that's fine because a few months later you'll see that increase. 

you will see step improvements as your account ages from multiple metrics. Sometimes it's AAoA, sometimes it is AAoRA, sometimes it is AoORA, and sometimes it's from loan aging metrics, though you may have those maxed out. we would have to calculate all your old loans, but they offer less points than Revolver Metrics anyway.

regarding the consequences of your oldest Revolver being so young on a mature Scorecard: A lot of this is new and we're just figuring it out. So I can't really give you conclusive answer. As I said, on a young card it appears that age of oldest revolving account provides a peek somewhere between two and three years.

I don't believe that that will happen on a mature card. But I don't know for sure. It's my guess that a mature card will start offering more points maybe at five years. Seems like we've got a data point for six years that needs to be confirmed and nine years and I'm sure there are some between there.  

either way since you have unpaid chargeoffs, your score is worse than it would be and has further to rise. Even though you don't have an older revolver that would allow you to have a higher score than you would otherwise, I predict you will still see a nice increase because you've got further to come from the unpaid chargeoffs.

So you will see a bigger increase than you would have because of that. you got one thing giving you a bigger increase and one thing giving you a smaller increase, maybe they'll cancel out?

One thing about it, maybe we will learn from your data points. But this is good information for everyone to know. Version 8 and 9 are revolver-centric and the age of the oldest Revolver is very important. 

Message 27 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FreedomHammer wrote:

Edited to add:

Your oldest revolver can also be the C/O, closed ones. So technically, your oldest revolver is the C/O from 2014, albeit not your oldest open revolver, but oldest overall, which counts for something. Once it ages off, it no longer factors into your average age of accounts.

It looks like you also have several student loans that are older, even though they are closed and thise will boost your AAoA.

I can understand your position, as both me and my SO are in a similar one. I just had my only C/O that was opened in 2014 age off. I gained 70 pts. I have loads of SLs from 2006-2010, as my older ones already aged off. The C/O from 2014 actually increased my AAoA. That brings me to a 716 TU F8 with still 3 CAs and 8 x 120d lates (4-6+ years old). So getting above 700 on a dirty scorecard is definitely possible, but CAs, COs, and severe lates will still hold your scores down.

Like you, I had not opened any new accounts between 2010-2021, except for the one from 2014 that just aged off. I have 4 accounts I added between 2019-2020 (1 installment and 3 revolvers). So when anything ages off, I fear huge dips in my score from my AAoA going down, but as you can see, it went up, and helped my scores tremendously. I still have a very thick and aged credit profile because of these old student loans.

My SO on the other hand, had all of his oldest accounts removed (and all were installment loans) and it tanked not only his AAoA, but his scores. That is two-fold, though. He now has no open installment loans and his AAoA went down drastically. This will be reversed once the SLs return to his CRs (not sure why they have not yet reported). They will be backdated and boost his AAoA, will be open/active, and give him a much thicker credit profile, so he will have both those issues remedied. SO never had a revolver until 2020. So he has basically only 6 newer accounts (4 credit and 1 closed installment loan and 1 closed revolver) and a 2 old charge offs (installment loans) from 2010-2014, meaning he has a younger/thinner credit profile.

Large gaps between accounts can be scary, score-wise, once they age off.

I think you will be ok with other older accounts still boosting you up for some time, keeping your AAoA up. Derogs coming off should help yours scores too (fingers crossed), like as in my case (and actually increased my score), but as in my SO's case (unlike my own situation), the old derogs coming off his CRs really tanked his scores because of the drastic cut to AAoA and now having a younger/thinner credit profile.

My long-winded point is that those closed accounts can still have you in a mature/thick profile. The open accounts are not the only ones working for you.

Message 28 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@FreedomHammer wrote:

Edited to add:

Your oldest revolver can also be the C/O, closed ones. So technically, your oldest revolver is the C/O from 2014, albeit not your oldest open revolver, but oldest overall, which counts for something. Once it ages off, it no longer factors into your average age of accounts.

It looks like you also have several student loans that are older, even though they are closed and thise will boost your AAoA.

I can understand your position, as both me and my SO are in a similar one. I just had my only C/O that was opened in 2014 age off. I gained 70 pts. I have loads of SLs from 2006-2010, as my older ones already aged off. The C/O from 2014 actually increased my AAoA. That brings me to a 716 TU F8 with still 3 CAs and 8 x 120d lates (4-6+ years old). So getting above 700 on a dirty scorecard is definitely possible, but CAs, COs, and severe lates will still hold your scores down.

Like you, I had not opened any new accounts between 2010-2021, except for the one from 2014 that just aged off. I have 4 accounts I added between 2019-2020 (1 installment and 3 revolvers). So when anything ages off, I fear huge dips in my score from my AAoA going down, but as you can see, it went up, and helped my scores tremendously. I still have a very thick and aged credit profile because of these old student loans.

My SO on the other hand, had all of his oldest accounts removed (and all were installment loans) and it tanked not only his AAoA, but his scores. That is two-fold, though. He now has no open installment loans and his AAoA went down drastically. This will be reversed once the SLs return to his CRs (not sure why they have not yet reported). They will be backdated and boost his AAoA, will be open/active, and give him a much thicker credit profile, so he will have both those issues remedied. SO never had a revolver until 2020. So he has basically only 6 newer accounts (4 credit and 1 closed installment loan and 1 closed revolver) and a 2 old charge offs (installment loans) from 2010-2014, meaning he has a younger/thinner credit profile.

Large gaps between accounts can be scary, score-wise, once they age off.

I think you will be ok with other older accounts still boosting you up for some time, keeping your AAoA up. Derogs coming off should help yours scores too (fingers crossed), like as in my case (and actually increased my score), but as in my SO's case (unlike my own situation), the old derogs coming off his CRs really tanked his scores because of the drastic cut to AAoA and now having a younger/thinner credit profile.

My long-winded point is that those closed accounts can still have you in a mature/thick profile. The open accounts are not the only ones working for you.

+1

Message 29 of 33
FreedomHammer
Regular Contributor

Thank you everyone that contributed to my post. 

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.