Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where Are My Points?

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Where Are My Points?

Asking for a friend.

When do you get back the points lost from inquiries? They stop hurting your score at 1 year, but she's impatient and wants to know why they're not back at 1yr 3 days. Is "The Man" screwing her over?

Discuss.

15 REPLIES 15
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Where Are My Points?

Maybe they came back gradually during the past year and have already been restored.

Message 2 of 16
rbentley
Established Contributor

You get between 1/2-2/3rds of your inquiry points back at 6 months.  The remaining balance at 1year.

Message 3 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I am fairly certain I read (here) that there is no gradual lessening for HP  points. I believe it was Thomas Thumb who shared his data points on inquiry impact. 

I could be wrong, it's happened before 

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep in mind that not every inquiry costs points initially or regain points at 1 year. I racked up 5 inquiries on EX last year and regained 3, 7, 7, 3, 2 points exactly on the day each hit one year, did not have daily update on TU (2) and EQ (3) so I was unable to isolate them to the day. On the other hand, I took 2 new HPs for deposit accounts on TU (803) in May 2018 after previous inquiries became unscorable, neither inquiries dropped my score. I find that these things can sometimes be unpredictable and varies from profiles to CRAs.
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rbentley wrote:

You get between 1/2-2/3rds of your inquiry points back at 6 months.  The remaining balance at 1year.

I find this to be false in my year long experiment, there were no scoring changes for each inquiry at 6 months mark, the 6mon/inquiry was one of my test points so I paid very close attention at each crossing point, in fact my EX score never changed between September 2017 (last of 8 new accounts reporting) and April 2018 when the oldest inquiry hit 1 year.
Message 6 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Keep in mind that not every inquiry costs points initially or regain points at 1 year. I racked up 5 inquiries on EX last year and regained 3, 7, 7, 3, 2 points exactly on the day each hit one year, did not have daily update on TU (2) and EQ (3) so I was unable to isolate them to the day. On the other hand, I took 2 new HPs for deposit accounts on TU (803) in May 2018 after previous inquiries became unscorable, neither inquiries dropped my score. I find that these things can sometimes be unpredictable and varies from profiles to CRAs.

That is what I was expecting to see on EX once they reached a year (09/23 and 09/24). 

However, EX has not budged one bit. 

I had one HP on TU done on 09/05/17 and regained 5 points on 09/05 ( the only reason I know that is because Disco soft pulls on 09/06 for me, and there was a 5 point difference from 09/01 and 09/05. No balance changes and score change was TU specific). 

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I saw your post on GC but did not reply because I have no answer as to why you didn't get a bump on those days.
Message 8 of 16
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Asking for a friend.

When do you get back the points lost from inquiries? They stop hurting your score at 1 year, but she's impatient and wants to know why they're not back at 1yr 3 days. Is "The Man" screwing her over?

Discuss.

Data suggests not all inquiries will cost points when you get them and thus you may not regain points when they age to one year. How can this be?

1) Certain types of inquiries are DeDuped together - meaning they only count as one. There is a 45 day time period on Fico 8 where loan related inquiries are grouped together to count as one. For example, if you are shopping around for car loans and receive 5 HPs on Experian as follows: Monday (1), Wednesday (2) and the following Monday (2), they are counted as one HP for scoring purposes.

2) Many believe HP inquiries are binned. If you get an additional HP or one drops off and you are in the same quantity bin then no score change. Possible binning is 0, 1, 2-3, 4-5, 6-8 and 9 or more. If you have 15 HPs under 12 months (none being De-Duped) and three age to 12 months, no score change. In the above binning example if you have 3 HP and one ages to 12 months, still no score change. However, if you had 2 and one aged to 12 months then a 5 point nominal score boost.

An HP that counts against you will do so for 12 months on Fico models. My experience is scoring for HPs is based on 12 months from the actual date of the inquiry - not the 1st of the month. There are no communications from Fico that suggest lessening of impact for an HP over the initial 12 months. Some posters report a lessening impact but, most do not. Other things going on in a file could confound results.

Best I can tell a HP that counts will impact Classic Fico 8 score 5 points and the Bankcard Enhanced version 8 to 10 points.

Fico 08 inquiry buffer.jpg

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 9 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I saw your post on GC but did not reply because I have no answer as to why you didn't get a bump on those days.

So much for staying deep undercover 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.