cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do Credit Card Co's source Fico scores?

tag
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

Where do Credit Card Co's source Fico scores?

Hi All,

Just curious about the source from which credit card companies obtain the Fico scores they use.

Example: If a company uses Equifax Fico 8 are they pulling that score directly from Equifax (and the algorithm converts it to a Fico score) OR do they get the score directly from myFico

So here's the scenario: Discover pulled my credit (Equifax Fico 8) on 12/12 and got a score of 700. My Equifax score via myFico (updated 12/11) was 702 but my Equifax Fico score generated by Experian credit monitoring updated on 12/11  was 740. 

However, my pure EQ score via their site (i know it's not Fico) updated Today and based on that my score is estimated to be @730-750 similar to what Experian pulled late yesterday. Just trying to determine that if Equifax pushes my updated score to myFico today and a creditor pulls my report tonight will they see the higher EQ score? ,

I know this is clear as mud!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for the help/info.

So the score Discover pulled is almost 100% the same as myFico (which isn't the lastest EQ score). Once EQ pushes my higher score to myFico will credit grantors see that score

6 REPLIES 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Where do Credit Card Co's source Fico scores?

They get it from the bureaus but there are many different models and industry options of even FICO credit scores let alone the ones that are created by the bureaus themselves.

I don't know what score Discover is pulling these days, but given there's something like 60 FICO scores and dozens more of non-FICO ones being sold these days, unless you know what is being pulled by a given lender it's hard to say what it is.

There are some that we know via FICO Open Access: Amex EX FICO 8, Citi EQ FICO 8 BC, etc. ad naseum, but these might not be the only scores they pull either and by law they're only required to give you one of the N scores they use basically.

        
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You said Discover pulled Equifax FICO 8.

You later speak of your Equifax FICO score generated by EXPERIAN was 740.

Which Equifax FICO score are you speaking of through Experian, that was 740? Was it also Version 8? 9? 5? Was it an enhanced version (Bankcard, Auto)? Like Rev said, there are tons of versions.

Anyway, when you pay for a score/report, you are supposed to be getting up-to-the-minute scores/reports pulled from the bureaus.

But, be aware, MyFICO frequently lags on its CMS alert scores, and they are only updated IF an alertable event occurs or you pull a report, not daily.

So your score could change and you not have an alertable event, and therefore not be advised of the new score, OR your score could change and you are unaware because the alerts are frequently delayed and you sometimes don't see older alerts until they finally arrive and are then placed in chronological order.

Also be aware some lenders pull a score and sit on it before they give it to you. IIRC, Navy does this.

If you wanna know today's Experian FICO scores, you can subscribe to Experian CreditWorks to receive daily EX FICO 8 scores (also 2 and industry options for Experian versions only). They are refreshed once daily, if and when you log in.

For Equifax or TransUnion, its not as cheap. Those, you gotta buy new scores thru MyFICO, CCT, or Experian or somewhere else, if available elsewhere. Your regular EX CW only refreshes EQ and TU I think monthly or quarterly, if you get that package. I don't know of anywhere that refreshes EQ/TU FICO 8s daily.
Message 3 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Aspireto850 wrote:

Hi All,

Just curious about the source from which credit card companies obtain the Fico scores they use.

Example: If a company uses Equifax Fico 8 are they pulling that score directly from Equifax (and the algorithm converts it to a Fico score) OR do they get the score directly from myFico

So here's the scenario: Discover pulled my credit (Equifax Fico 8) on 12/12 and got a score of 700. My Equifax score via myFico (updated 12/11) was 702 but my Equifax Fico score generated by Experian credit monitoring updated on 12/11  was 740. 

However, my pure EQ score via their site (i know it's not Fico) updated Today and based on that my score is estimated to be @730-750 similar to what Experian pulled late yesterday. Just trying to determine that if Equifax pushes my updated score to myFico today and a creditor pulls my report tonight will they see the higher EQ score? ,

I know this is clear as mud!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for the help/info.

So the score Discover pulled is almost 100% the same as myFico (which isn't the lastest EQ score). Once EQ pushes my higher score to myFico will credit grantors see that score

I take it you were approved for a card? There's a wide gap in scores as you posted. Look a little more into it because it really isnt making sense. Unless Disco is starting to use some other method of FICO none of know about yet. That 40 npt difference is strange.

Message 4 of 7
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

@Firemedic1,

I know there’s a wide gap in scores hence my OP. Let me re-phrase my question:

When a credit grantor want to use a Fico score model from a CB that doesn’t utilize Fico scores eg. Transunion and Equifax where do they source that Fico score? So if Citibank wants to pull a Equifax Fico8 where do they get that score? Is it directly from Equifax? If so how does Equifax ‘convert’ their in-house score model to Fico?

Side Note: The credit pull from Discover was in the pre-qual site. The EQ FICO score I received via my Experian monitoring product is a lot higher than my EQ Fico score on myFICO.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

CB that doesn’t utilize Fico scores eg. Transunion and Equifax where do they source that Fico score?

You're confusing the fact the EQ and TU do not provide FICO scores to consumers directly, with "utilize FICO scores"

When, for example, Citibank request your report and FICO  score from EQ and TU, your score is genereared at EQ and TU by directly running your data through the FICO algorithm on their systems.
They DO "utilize" FICO scores. They just do not sell/provide a FICO score to consumers like EX does. They do not "convert" their home grown score to FICO.

Message 6 of 7
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

Thanks Morpho,

That is exactly the information I was looking for. I just finished a call with myFICO.com asking them my question and they said the same as you. EQ and TU purchase the right to use the Fico algorithm and that is how the Fico score for those two bureaus are generated. Thx for clearing things up! 👍🏼

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.