Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Credit Scores Are True Scores

tag
improvedcredit
New Contributor

Which Credit Scores Are True Scores

I just recently pulled all my credit scores from My Fico and from all of the three CRBs. I am wondering which ones are true scores?

My Fico Scores

Transunion: 634

Equifax: 654

Credit Bureau Scoring

Equifax: 601

Experian: 590

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Which Credit Scores Are True Scores

The myFICO scores are used by creditors, never mind the others.

Message 2 of 8
jonjohn
Contributor

Are you sure? MyFico score is 647, but my Experian score is 553 which according to Experian is Poor. That just let the wind out of my sails. 647 I thought was pretty good considering what I had been through. I haven't been late on ANYTHING for over 2 years and the only "charge off' was paid off. I am really bumbed now ready my Experian Score...

Starting Score: EQ 625 TU 630
Current Score: EX 711 EQ 685 TU 680
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@jonjohn wrote:

Are you sure? MyFico score is 647, but my Experian score is 553 which according to Experian is Poor. That just let the wind out of my sails. 647 I thought was pretty good considering what I had been through. I haven't been late on ANYTHING for over 2 years and the only "charge off' was paid off. I am really bumbed now ready my Experian Score...

No one has been able to buy their own Experian FICO score since February of 2009. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU (PSECU) in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only. 

What EX sells now is called a "PLUS" score and is not used by any lenders. Ignore it. It's worthless.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 8
jonjohn
Contributor

I just got it from creditreport.com???????? I didn't "pay" yet. I just had to enroll and "donate" a dollar. If I don't cancel, then I get charged.

I am about to apply for an auto loan to buy my leased vehicle. Are you saying that they will go by my "myfico" score of 647 from Equifax, 677 from Transunion and NOT the 553 from Experian

Starting Score: EQ 625 TU 630
Current Score: EX 711 EQ 685 TU 680
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@jonjohn wrote:

I just got it from creditreport.com???????? I didn't "pay" yet. I just had to enroll and "donate" a dollar. If I don't cancel, then I get charged.

I am about to apply for an auto loan to buy my leased vehicle. Are you saying that they will go by my "myfico" score of 647 from Equifax, 677 from Transunion and NOT the 553 from Experian

None of the scores from creditreport.com are FICO scores.

The Equifax score from myFICO is accurate. Did you get the Transunion score here? If you bought that from the TU website that is not a TU FICO score either. It's called a VantageScore. You can get a TU FICO from myFICO. Here is a fuller explanation of the confusion surrounding diferent "credit scores":

(With all due credit to long time member llecs for this):

"Virtually everyone sells scores, but they are not all FICO scores. If you got scores from the big 3, then very likely 2 or all 3 of them are not FICO scores. Experian and TransUnion do not sell FICO scores on their website. We call these non-FICO scores, FAKOs, and can easily be as much as a few points to 100+ points off your real FICO when pulled the same day. If it didn't say "FICO" next to the score, then it isn't.

Other companies (e.g. freecreditreport.com, freescore.com, truecredit, creditkarma, Equifax Credit Complete, Quizzle, and dozens of others out there) sell scores, but they are nothing more than gimmicks and lenders don't use them. They do this because they want to avoid paying any fees to FICO and when they say "credit score" people buy it anyway on the assumption that it is a FICO. The scores are off because the formula is different, factors in different things as compared to FICO, and score ranges are different than FICO's (e.g. FICO is 300-850, Vantage is 501-990, PLUS is 330-830, TransRisk is 350-850, and so on)."

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@jonjohn wrote:

None of the scores from creditreport.com are FICO scores.

The Equifax score from myFICO is accurate. Did you get the Transunion score here? If you bought that from the TU website that is not a TU FICO score either. It's called a VantageScore. You can get a TU FICO from myFICO. Here is a fuller explanation of the confusion surrounding diferent "credit scores":

(With all due credit to long time member llecs for this):

"Virtually everyone sells scores, but they are not all FICO scores. If you got scores from the big 3, then very likely 2 or all 3 of them are not FICO scores. Experian and TransUnion do not sell FICO scores on their website. We call these non-FICO scores, FAKOs, and can easily be as much as a few points to 100+ points off your real FICO when pulled the same day. If it didn't say "FICO" next to the score, then it isn't.

Other companies (e.g. freecreditreport.com, freescore.com, truecredit, creditkarma, Equifax Credit Complete, Quizzle, and dozens of others out there) sell scores, but they are nothing more than gimmicks and lenders don't use them. They do this because they want to avoid paying any fees to FICO and when they say "credit score" people buy it anyway on the assumption that it is a FICO. The scores are off because the formula is different, factors in different things as compared to FICO, and score ranges are different than FICO's (e.g. FICO is 300-850, Vantage is 501-990, PLUS is 330-830, TransRisk is 350-850, and so on)."

+1 to what MVV wrote and +100000 to what MVV quoted by IIecs.

As far as which CRA your car dealership will pull is entirely up to them, they may pull EQ only, or EQ and TU, or all three, that all depends on which CRA they deal with mostly, Lenders/Creditors can still pull your EX FICO, Experian just stopped selling their FICO's to consumers (like you and I) but lenders still use EX and will get an EX FICO.

When I bought my 2nd car, I financed it through my local CU, they exclusivly use EQ, so only my EQ report was pulled, but when I bought my first car through the same dealership they were looking for a lender to finance me, I ended up with pulls on EQ and EX, because they were using several different lenders who each used different CRA's.

One other thing to consider, when purchasing/ leasing etc....a car, the lender will use an "Auto Enhanced" version of your FICO's, the lender will pull your EQ, TU, EX (whichever they use) and then they will run your FICO thru their own internal scoring model coming up with the "Auto Enhanced" FICO which may be a bit different than what your FICO's are here, but the scores you get here at MyFico are your REAL FICO's.

I use FreeCreditReport.com (who provides a "Plus" score) my EX Plus score is 765 and my TRUE EX FICO is 798 (provided by AmEx, in a Congrats letter) so you can see the scores from FCR.com can not be relied upon, BUT, I do not subscribe to FCR.com for my scores, I use their service to monitor my EX Report and I ignore the score.

I just thought I'd pass that info along to you.

Edited to add some extra content.

Message 7 of 8
by2
Valued Member

Also the CA sites want you to come back and sell their products so if you think your scores need more work the more money they make.  I won't pay for them, myfico is the best way to go!!!

Starting Score:TU 62611/07/2011
Current Score: 72704/23/2012
Starting Score:EQ 60511/07/2011
Current Score: 69012/20/2012
Goal Score: 760+
Take-the-FICO-Fitness-Challenge/Take-the-FICO-Fitness-Challenge-for-...">Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.