cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which action will help my credit move the most?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which action will help my credit move the most?

In October I entered into a Debt Managemnet Program to pay my $18,000 in credit card debt.  On to of that debt I have a Car Loan with about $8000 left on it.  I have about $4000 to put towards my debt due to some fortunate circumstances.  
I would like thoughts on what to do with that money.  Will paying down my CC debt by $4000 help increase my credit score, or would it be better to pay down my car loan?  

I am also in the process of writing some GoodWill Letters to try and get my late payments off my report.  
Any thoughts would be so greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Nate

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which action will help my credit move the most?

My suggestion is to pay down whichever has the higher interest rate so you save money in the long run.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would pay down the credit card debt.  The installment loan will help you with different kinds of credit you have.  So keep paying the car loan as promised.  But the CC is accuring interest if not paid in full so lower that and also the CR's love CC utilization.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree with others. Pay down the credit card debt first. And here's why:

1.) It's at a higher interest rate than the car loan, so you'll be preventing extra interest from adding to your debt. This allows you to pay off the total faster.

2.) Paying down credit cards lowers your utilization, which improves your credit score

Message 4 of 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I'm another for paying the CC debt

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.