cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which scoreing model for boat/luxury item.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which scoring model for boat/luxury item.

@Anonymouswrote:

Hi Ryan.  Thanks for the frank but respectful exchange.  That can only be a good thing here on the forum.

In terms of pure score improvement strategies, you will get some help (as I mentioned in my first post and as Heaven later confirmed) by getting all cards to under 68.9% (and your total utilization to under 28.9%).  The good thing about CC strategies is that there is no need to speculate: just execute the paydown and see what happens.  You can always pay the cards down more if you need a further boost: the next step would be all cards at under 48%.  You are doing the right thing, however, in coming to us first to ask the best paydown strategy.

No worries. 

I really wasn't TOO concerned wih improvement strategies. I only asked about the "calculators" they supply on myFICO dashboard. 

My main concern was the model lenders use. Which seems to just be the regular FICO8 standard base score. Which is fair. 

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

A $50,000 boat for wakeboarding is fantastic -- we had one on a private lake in the Chicago burbs for many years and it paid for itself after just 2 summers of dawn patrol, lol.

Your credit card utilization is going to make you pay more for that loan, for sure.  The 0% interest you're floating is going to be offset by the loan rate.  I would suggest dumping the 0% interest balances quickly so you can get approved for the best possible rate and terms on the boat loan.  Do note that depending on when you pay the balances down it might take up to an entire month before the bureaus are updated depending on when each card's balance reports.

As mentioned, you will maximize most of your FICO scores by paying all cards to $0 except for one card which reports a small balance (more than $2, less than 8.9% of limit).  This can have a drastic effect on FICO scores and will help you get approved for a loan and get the best terms and rates.

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

A $50,000 boat for wakeboarding is fantastic -- we had one on a private lake in the Chicago burbs for many years and it paid for itself after just 2 summers of dawn patrol, lol.

Your credit card utilization is going to make you pay more for that loan, for sure.  The 0% interest you're floating is going to be offset by the loan rate.  I would suggest dumping the 0% interest balances quickly so you can get approved for the best possible rate and terms on the boat loan.  Do note that depending on when you pay the balances down it might take up to an entire month before the bureaus are updated depending on when each card's balance reports.

As mentioned, you will maximize most of your FICO scores by paying all cards to $0 except for one card which reports a small balance (more than $2, less than 8.9% of limit).  This can have a drastic effect on FICO scores and will help you get approved for a loan and get the best terms and rates.

Oh yeah. A nice 23 footer, 15 passenger about 500 hours. 1 mile from my house at a dealer. 

I was told by my dad via the lender that they look at everything, of course, to determine if the loan will be granted but my score will determine the interest rate, right now anything over 720 score gets me 4.84. And they REALLY care about DTI, which I'm at 29% including my mortgage. And with the boat payment I'm at 35%. 
Pretty confident at my current situation actually. 

Message 13 of 22
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

The 0% interest you're floating is going to be offset by the loan rate.  I would suggest dumping the 0% interest balances quickly so you can get approved for the best possible rate and terms on the boat loan.

I think this is what crossed people's minds when paying down the cards was recommended, especially when the OP expressed concern about his scores possibly being borderline. I'd surmise that he's almost certainly going to be approved, but the big unknown is his ability to get the best interest rate.

ABCD, how do inquiries work for boat loans? If he shops for loans, can he take hard pulls like he would for an auto or home loan and have them treated as a single inquiry for scoring purposes? If they aren't, that would be another reason to pay down cards. It would give him a cushion to absorb some inquiries.

As far as DTI goes, paying down the cards isn't going to help much as only the minimum payment is considered. However, when lenders look at the balances themselves, they might be happier to see them at least partially erased.

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhiowrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

The 0% interest you're floating is going to be offset by the loan rate.  I would suggest dumping the 0% interest balances quickly so you can get approved for the best possible rate and terms on the boat loan.

I think this is what crossed people's minds when paying down the cards was recommended, especially when the OP expressed concern about his scores possibly being borderline. I'd surmise that he's almost certainly going to be approved, but the big unknown is his ability to get the best interest rate.

ABCD, how do inquiries work for boat loans? If he shops for loans, can he take hard pulls like he would for an auto or home loan and have them treated as a single inquiry for scoring purposes? If they aren't, that would be another reason to pay down cards. It would give him a cushion to absorb some inquiries.

As far as DTI goes, paying down the cards isn't going to help much as only the minimum payment is considered. However, when lenders look at the balances themselves, they might be happier to see them at least partially erased.

My boat loan shows up as "auto loan" on my credit reports.  I have no idea why that's the case and the lender is some small town bank who primarily does boat loans so when I emailed them they said "that's how it reports".  I only had 1 inquiry on each report so I have no idea on scoring combination!

I didn't need the loan but I did it as a favor to the seller since I use him a lot.  And he's offsetting 100% of interest accruing with free maintenance/dockage so it let me kinda analyze installment utilization vs FICO.  Going to pay the thing off in May before the first year, I'm annoyed that it hurts my credit score and the loan is so slow to update (3-4 months old balances!) that it didn't help me analyze FICO at all.

My next boat in December is going to be a cash deal, I will never finance a vehicle again even with 0% interest.  What an annoyance every month.

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

"My boat loan shows up as "auto loan" on my credit reports.  I have no idea why that's the case and the lender is some small town bank who primarily does boat loans so when I emailed them they said "that's how it reports".  I only had 1 inquiry on each report so I have no idea on scoring combination!"

Interesting that it shows up as an auto loan. I know the lender I'm going through, also a small town, just pulled TU, as least they did last year. So that is the only FICO score I pulled.  

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. Just an update and piece of info for anyone that happens to stumble across this thread. 

I just received my credit approval letter showing my score they pulled. 

It looks like the score they pulled most closely resembled my FICO AUTO Score 8. 
Which was 11 points higher than my "base" FICO 8 model. 

Just my experience. 

Hope this helps someone later on. 

Ryan 

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m in the same boat, no pun intended. Looking for a new bass boat in the $15-$18k range. Did you get a loan from a CU and did they pull EQ, TU or EX?

Also, can anyone comment on interest rate(car vs boat) if lender, score etc is exactly the same? I’ve read boats are categorized differently which can cause a higher interest rate.
Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see that DCU’s lowest boat rate is in the 6’s? Ouch, is that typical for a boat loan?
Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there ProCharged....btw! A procharged 392 has to rip! 
Here's my buddies 62 Plymouth....on E85 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMKJr_o1eek&t=5s

Anyway. I went through a small Michigan bank and I have 4.24%. 

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.