cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Am I Getting Dinged For High Credit Usage When My Utilization is 0%?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why Am I Getting Dinged For High Credit Usage When My Utilization is 0%?

What gives? It appears my score gets dragged monthly for this even though my utilization remains between 0-3% each month. What am I not getting. The only outstanding debt I have is my auto loan that I took out last year at around $44k, now paid down to $39k. Am I missing something?

10 REPLIES 10
Bankrupt2019
Established Contributor

Re: Why Am I Getting Dinged For High Credit Usage When My Utilization is 0%?

Your loan is hovering right around %90  

Message 2 of 11
thornback
Senior Contributor

Are you reporting all zero balances on your revolving accounts?  If so, assuming you're referring to FICO scores, that's why. 

FICO penalizes for "no revolving credit usage" so you need to have at least one card with a balance. The penalty is temporary tho-- any points lost will be regained once a balance reports (the one reporting card should be a bankcard - not a store card, charge card, or credit union card). 

If you are reporting at least one balance, then we will need to dig deeper to determine what's happening. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 3 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What gives? It appears my score gets dragged monthly for this even though my utilization remains between 0-3% each month. What am I not getting. The only outstanding debt I have is my auto loan that I took out last year at around $44k, now paid down to $39k. Am I missing something?

You haven't given us enough information. What scores. Where you're getting them from. What the limits and reported balances are on the revolving accounts. What the negative reason codes are. Etc.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 11
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Bankrupt2019 wrote:

OPs auto loan util - even at 100% - wouldnt cause a drop in points each month. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 5 of 11
Bankrupt2019
Established Contributor

@thornback wrote:

@Bankrupt2019 wrote:

@thornback took it as OP meaning they had that negative reason code month after month, not an actual score drop monthly.

Message 6 of 11
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Bankrupt2019 wrote:

@thornback wrote:

@Bankrupt2019 wrote:

@thornback took it as OP meaning they had that negative reason code month after month, not an actual score drop monthly.

@Bankrupt2019  Oh... that's not how I read it at all but I see,  now that you mention it, how you got that impression and in that case, you'd be correct lol.

Guess we need clarification... 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

High credit usage can be related to number of accounts with balances, not just dollars. 

You could have 5 credit cards, all with $1 reported on them for a total of $5 in revolving debt reported and see that code because you're at 100% of your revolvers with a balance.  It doesn't necessarily mean you're utilizing too many of your available dollars, but rather too many of your available tradelines.  Also with a loan present you're naturally going to have that account with a reported balance, so if you allow 1 revolver to report a balance (2 accounts total) it's still possible to see that negative reason code.  I've seen it with just 1 loan and 1 revolver reporting on some scoring models and that's with aggregate utilization at < 1%.

Message 8 of 11
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

High credit usage can be related to number of accounts with balances, not just dollars. 

You could have 5 credit cards, all with $1 reported on them for a total of $5 in revolving debt reported and see that code because you're at 100% of your revolvers with a balance.  It doesn't necessarily mean you're utilizing too many of your available dollars, but rather too many of your available tradelines.  Also with a loan present you're naturally going to have that account with a reported balance, so if you allow 1 revolver to report a balance (2 accounts total) it's still possible to see that negative reason code.  I've seen it with just 1 loan and 1 revolver reporting on some scoring models and that's with aggregate utilization at < 1%.

I'm apparently the only one that totally misread /misunderstood the original post 😳 so just ignore me and my response, OP! 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 9 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Unless OP comes back and clarifies, there is no way to tell what they are talking about. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.