cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Oh Why Does Transunion Lag so Far Behind? And When Will It Improve?

tag
Repairman
Established Contributor

Why Oh Why Does Transunion Lag so Far Behind? And When Will It Improve?

Over the past couple of months, I have watched both my Experian and Equifax scores shoot up significantly, and yet my Transunion score has only gained a small few points, and actually dropped, even more. There is now, an almost 50 point difference, in the negative, between my Transunion score and the others. It's driving me crazy!

A bit of history: I had 4 baddies on my report that I have been working through over the past several years. Tonight, I pulled all 3 bureau reports and examined them and discovered that ALL of my baddies have finally fallen off of all of my reports, with the exception of 1 baddie, still present ONLY on Transunion. It is a 120 day late from April 2014, on a closed account that I paid off completely back in June of 2014. The other bureaus have removed this delinquency already, but Transunion has not.

Am I right to assume that it should be removed by April of this year? Or would it be June of this year? 

I also have 5 recent inquiries on my report from the past year, and you guessed it, 4 of the 5 ONLY appear on Transunion, the 5th one ONLY appears on Equifax and none are on Experian. So my other files are basically immaculate, but Transunion is being held down, yes by the recent inquiries, but mostly by that delinquency from 7 years ago.

Why have the other bureaus blessed me with slightly early removals but Transunion insists on lingering behind? And how long will the inquiries continue to impact my score? Will they weigh me down for a full 2 years, or will the impact lessen any sooner?

35 REPLIES 35
dunn2500
Established Contributor

Re: Why Oh Why Does Transunion Lag so Far Behind? And When Will It Improve?

mine is opposite......EQ and EX are behind

Message 2 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Repairman wrote:

Over the past couple of months, I have watched both my Experian and Equifax scores shoot up significantly, and yet my Transunion score has only gained a small few points, and actually dropped, even more. There is now, an almost 50 point difference, in the negative, between my Transunion score and the others. It's driving me crazy!

A bit of history: I had 4 baddies on my report that I have been working through over the past several years. Tonight, I pulled all 3 bureau reports and examined them and discovered that ALL of my baddies have finally fallen off of all of my reports, with the exception of 1 baddie, still present ONLY on Transunion. It is a 120 day late from April 2014, on a closed account that I paid off completely back in June of 2014. The other bureaus have removed this delinquency already, but Transunion has not.

Am I right to assume that it should be removed by April of this year? Or would it be June of this year? 

I also have 5 recent inquiries on my report from the past year, and you guessed it, 4 of the 5 ONLY appear on Transunion, the 5th one ONLY appears on Equifax and none are on Experian. So my other files are basically immaculate, but Transunion is being held down, yes by the recent inquiries, but mostly by that delinquency from 7 years ago.

Why have the other bureaus blessed me with slightly early removals but Transunion insists on lingering behind? And how long will the inquiries continue to impact my score? Will they weigh me down for a full 2 years, or will the impact lessen any sooner?

TU has dropped lates thru 3/2014. Your 4/14 late should drop next month. Of course, worst case scenario would be April, but highly unlikely. It has nothing to do with which month you paid it off.

Each bureau drops lates differently.

EX drops entire strings of lates, which is very generous, but misleading as to what the other 2 bureaus do.

EQ does it's own thing. Sometines very early, sometimes right on the dot.

A 120d late hurts the entire 7 years and can definitely cause a 50 point difference.

Message 3 of 36
Repairman
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

TU has dropped lates thru 3/2014. Your 4/14 late should drop next month. Of course, worst case scenario would be April, but highly unlikely. It has nothing to do with which month you paid it off.

EX drops entire strings of lates, which is very generous, but misleading as to what the other 2 bureaus do.

A 120d late hurts the entire 7 years and can definitely cause a 50 point difference.

Thanks! That would be fantastic. How do you know Transunion dropped lates thru 3/14?

Message 4 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Repairman , also, inquiries ding your scores for 365 days. They remain on your CRs for 2 years ( 1st Sat of the 25 month (if I remember correctly lol) for EX - where they drop strings of lates, they have inquiries linger - sigh) and are still visibile to creditors and while they may not impact your score could possibly still be held against you when apping.

Message 5 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Repairman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

Thanks! That would be fantastic. How do you know Transunion dropped lates thru 3/14?

For me and my SO all lates have aged off thru 3/14 on TU. We have lots of baddies aging off, including lates. I have been working down over 300 lates (mostly from multiple student loans). I am down to 165.

Message 6 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can also confirm that trans union has deleted March, they must have done their house cleaning sometime throughout the month, Jan 1st it was still there for march. However I have gotten a lot of extra squeeze out of eq, they have been cleaning mine up 4 months early on theirs June is all I have left in general, eq does 3 months early

transunion is extremely frustrating, they have the best EE policy EXCEPT for lates

Message 7 of 36
Repairman
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

What exactly does Experian drops entire strings of lates mean? 

Message 8 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's experian, what it means is say you have a student loan or an auto loan, and you were late March April may June and July of 2014 consecutive lates are considered a "string" of lates by experian and delete all lates at once usually 3 months before 7 years from the first late in the string in contrast equifax and trans union treat each individual month as an individual delinquency and deletes them one by one by one equifax usually 3 months before 7 years and 1 month before 7 years for trans union 

Message 9 of 36
Repairman
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's experian, what it means is say you have a student loan or an auto loan, and you were late March April may June and July of 2014 consecutive lates are considered a "string" of lates by experian and delete all lates at once usually 3 months before 7 years from the first late in the string in contrast equifax and trans union treat each individual month as an individual delinquency and deletes them one by one by one equifax usually 3 months before 7 years and 1 month before 7 years for trans union 

Got it. Thanks for the info!

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.