cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are the FICO score algorithms secret?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why are the FICO score algorithms secret?

All this secrecy around how FICO is actually calculated is BS! These algorithms should be made public!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: Why are the FICO score algorithms secret?

I believe the legal reason is that they are "trade secrets" (which enjoy legal protections similar to copyright for creative works), and the business reason is that FICO charges the bureaus for scores generated by their proprietary algorithms.  If they made the algorithms publically available, they wouldn't be able to do that.  Whether having numbers that are so important to our lives be generated by algorithms we can't review is the best state of affairs for our society, I don't know.  It's at least the case that the broad, general information that FICO gives about what helps and hurts scores seems to be true.

Message 2 of 6
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Hi and welcome to the forums, @Anonymous

It's because they're using proprietary algorithms which means they don't have to disclose that information except to those that sign NDAs usually. It's a business model similar (if not the same) as intellectual property rights. You can do what you like since it's yours. Why banks have their own algorithms which they use when using FICO's information when pulls are generated, and like before they don't have to disclose as well. They interpret the data as they see fit and make decisions based off this

Message 3 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

All this secrecy around how FICO is actually calculated is BS! These algorithms should be made public!!

Historically it was much more secretive than it is now. We have actually made positive strides forward in transparency.

These sites, where consumers can get information about their scores and scoring factors are a fairly recent development.

And recently we had a whole big question and answer session where FICO insiders involved in creating the FICO policies and formulas actually answered some of our questions: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/We-re-Tom-Quinn-amp-Tommy-Lee-FICO-Score-Experts-Ask-us-anything/td-p/6130984

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 6
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

I don't mind them being secret as much as I object to having to pay to find out what my own scores are.

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 5 of 6
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@designated_knitter wrote:

I don't mind them being secret as much as I object to having to pay to find out what my own scores are.

☝️100% agree

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.