Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did my equifax score drop 12 points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why did my equifax score drop 12 points

My transunion score in August 2011 was 732 and equifax was 725. I just pulled my credit report today 1/10/2012 and my transunion stayed at 732 but my equifax is at 713. The only change that I see is that my credit card balance has been zero for a few months. Does not using credit cards and maintaining zero balance hurt your credit score?
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Why did my equifax score drop 12 points

@Anonymous wrote:
My transunion score in August 2011 was 732 and equifax was 725. I just pulled my credit report today 1/10/2012 and my transunion stayed at 732 but my equifax is at 713. The only change that I see is that my credit card balance has been zero for a few months. Does not using credit cards and maintaining zero balance hurt your credit score?

Welcome to the forums.

As a matter of fact showing all zero balances all the time will hurt your score. I know that seems counter productive but that's the way it is. It seems like what helps most people is to only have one of their credit card accounts report a small (<9% of it's credit limit) each month and let any other CC accounts report a zero balance.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still have mortgage and student loans that I make timely payments on. I just don't use my credit card (only have one). So you are saying that I should charge something (<9%) every month? Can I pay it off every month? I don't want to carry a balance on my credit card and pay unnecessary interest. Please help!!!! My new years resolution 2012 is to be at 750+ by the end of the year. But seeing my equifax score go backwards is really painful.
Message 3 of 18
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I still have mortgage and student loans that I make timely payments on. I just don't use my credit card (only have one). So you are saying that I should charge something (<9%) every month? Can I pay it off every month? I don't want to carry a balance on my credit card and pay unnecessary interest. Please help!!!! My new years resolution 2012 is to be at 750+ by the end of the year. But seeing my equifax score go backwards is really painful.

You don't have to use it every month. Every 2-3 months will be fine. Even a $1 charge is enough to show activity. Then wait for it to report on your monthly statement and PIF (Pay In Full) before the due date and you will never pay a penny in interest.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!!!! Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 18
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you!!!! Smiley Happy

You are very welcome. Another option is to use that card each month to auto pay a recurring bill (water, gas, cable, etc.) so you don't have to worry about how long it's been since you last used the card. I do this for most of my cards.

The same rule would apply. Wait for the charge to post and then PIF.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 6 of 18
Duke-of-Earl
Regular Contributor

It's also worth noting that the ding for all-zero CC balances is a particular specialty at Equifax.  I did a series of tests a couple of years ago of what the impact was, for both EQ and TU like your comparison.  I found my EQ FICO score went down by 4 points and TU FICO went up by 6, for all zero balances, compared to my usual situation maintaining a $10 balance on one card account.  I went through several cycles and found this pattern to be absolutely repeatable.  YMMV, of course.

Starting Score: EQ 804 - (April 2009)
Upgraded thanks to FICO Forums: EQ 813 / EX 842 / TU 823 - (FICO scores from mortgage lenders, June 2010)
Recent Scores: EQ 807 / TU 799 - (March 2012)
Goal: Survive Another Day
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am sorry but what is YMMV?
Message 8 of 18
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Your Mileage May Vary (e.g. there's nothing set in concrete and your results can vary)

Message 9 of 18
xiaobao12
New Visitor

Hi Marine,

Could you please elaborate on why you say "wait for it to post", then pay? I googled around and researched. People said that you should keep your credit utilization to less than 20%. Does that mean, if I have 5 cards, with $2000 limit on each, my total utilization is $10000. So, I should try to keep a balance of $2000 or less across all of them?

Btw, I pay off my CCs in full every month.

Thanks so much for your time and help.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.